Putting a point back on a knife

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I have two really beat up knives that I couldn't even give away, so I figured I might just take care of them and leave them in my tackle box or my truck box.

I have a CRKT Crawford Kasper, the point bent backward on it, and I've been reprofiling the point, but not doing a very good job. Any quick way to put a good point on it?

I also have a Schrade Old Timer Cave Bear 7OT, beat to hell and back, I broke the point off many years ago. I've been working on it for the past few years, and have only made it worse. Can I send this into Schrade and get a new blade? Should I just leave it alone? I'm trying to put a good point on it without having the new point jut out of the handle when closed. Any ideas?

SHS-
If you look down a bit, I posted the same topic. BTW, Schrade has closed-so I don't think sending it back will do you a lot of good.

silenthunterstudios said:
I have two really beat up knives that I couldn't even give away, so I figured I might just take care of them and leave them in my tackle box or my truck box.

I also have a Schrade Old Timer Cave Bear 7OT, beat to hell and back, I broke the point off many years ago. I've been working on it for the past few years, and have only made it worse. Can I send this into Schrade and get a new blade? Should I just leave it alone? I'm trying to put a good point on it without having the new point jut out of the handle when closed. Any ideas?

Post to the Schrade Forum. It wouldn't surprise me if someone doesn't have a box of new blades as a few went to the factory auction. You will also find details of the company that make the 'new' Schrade knives.

Start with a VERY coarse stone and work your way down, ideally this would be a course diamond sharpener. If your coarsest stone/rod/whatever isn't doing it for you, use a file. It will take your steel down very quickly. Good Luck.
If it were me, I would just start with the file.

Quick points are tanto-points or robust drop-points. Start with the coarsest stone you own at least twice the angle at which your sharpen your knife (if you sharpen at 30 degrees, go for 60 degree to quickly re-establish the point).

If you want and don't mind that the points will be a little thicker and the blades a wee bit shorter, you can send them to me. Send me an email: tbrogan1 at netzero dot com

There really isn't a "quick" way to repoint a knife. It's not hard it is just time consuming. Why every knife sharpener will charge more to repoint a knife than they would to sharpen it.

When working to rebuild a point or tip to conform to it's original shape you have to work from the spine of the knife down and then from the tip up to meet the spine point centre coming down. Mark the blade with either a marker or a scratch line above where you want the contour. Clamp the knife in a padded vise and go to work with a file. For folders you will have to make sure the blade is fully locked and preferably with the blade resting on a flat surface.

Work with a file from the spine down until you reach your mark. Then work the edge up. File it flat don't be trying to contour and bevel it at the same time. Just get it shaped the way you want it.

Then work the spine over with a finer file. Then with 320 grit, 600 grit , and 800 grit paper around a ruler secured with a bull dog clip. Once you have the spine all polished up. You can sharpen and polish the edge.

Back