Puzzling lock behavior on BM 921

Gentlemen, hopefully you can help me on this puzzler.

I've had two Benchmade 921s. This is an Axis lock knife, called the 921 Switchback. The first one had its springs break, and I returned it for the one I currently have. I neglected to pay attention to the manufacturing codes to see when either was made. I purchased both new. This whole post refers to the main blade, not the slipjoint second blade. I have lubed the knife only with Remington gun oil. It is my EDC knife, carried in front or back pockets, its only companion will be in the front pocket keys, and in the back pocket a non-powdered dog scoop bag. I've had the knife around 3 months, and I've had problems for less than two weeks.

The knife I have now is displaying similar behavior to my first 921 in the lock when it broke; the lock is loose, and the blade is not held closed very well. I can flick the knife open without pulling back on the lock pin, with moderate effort, about the same effort required to flip open a well lubed and worn in Leatherman Charge, about three times the normal effort of the fully functional 921 when it was new, after depressing the lock pin. There is little to no tension as I pull the blade about a half inch from closed; once I get to that half inch, the lock exerts pressure against the blade to prevent total opening unless I continue in the thumb swing. If I shake the knife up and down, the blade will come open a half inch.

It seems to lock securely, even when I tap it lightly on the back of the blade on something; thus far I haven't had any failures with this knife. The locking sound is less noticeable than before, but still a distinct 'snick" when opened normally. When opened slowly, the snick is noticeably quieter than in the past. There is no side to side play either when open or closed, but there is a somewhat noticeable up and down play when the blade is locked open. There was no up and down play when the knife was new, and the last time I checked was at least three weeks ago, before I noticed any problems.

My previous knife started to get very loose after a few weeks of use, and I noticed that one of the springs broke, not long after the other broke as well. I've analyzed this knife as best as I can, tried to budge the springs, and they do not seem to be broken. The pin will wobble somewhat as I try to pull back one side or the other slightly; it did not do this when new. There is also a noticeable grating sound that developed around the same time as the sudden looseness. That I've noticed, the knife did not gradually loosen, but happened virtually overnight. I open and close the knife probably at least 20 times a day. Rather than being glass smooth like in the past, the lock also opens very gratingly, and seems itself sometimes to be loose. Frankly it feels like something metal is stuck inside. I have blown the knife out as well as I can with compressed air, WD40 and gun oil, and can get nothing to change.

If I have missed any crucial details, let me know and I will try to offer them the best that I can.

I am very fond of this knife, and will refrain from making any product comparisons, as sometimes lightning really can strike twice.

Although the knife locks securely, until I am able to figure out this problem, I feel unsafe carrying it with me. Either the blade will open in my pocket and stab me, or in the unlikely event of an encounter with a policeman, the knife will flagrantly fail the flip test.

Help this poor little puppy-eyed Benchmade, and its forlorn owner, please.

Last edited:
The Axis lock is very reliable, but it looks like you have had a run of bad luck with them. I am guessing that you returned the first knife to a retailer who gave you a replacement out of his store stock. Both of your knives were probably from the same shipment from Benchmade to the retailer and therefore probably from the same production run as well. I think they both have the same problem.

I think one or both of your Omega springs is broken, and probably on the side closest to the butt of the knife where you cannot see it through the opening in the scale. Another possibility is a broken spring mounting post. The spring may be jammed in there in a way that it is still providing some tension and seems normal when you probe it. It would be understandable if you lost confidence in this lock, but I would recommend sending it in to Benchmade warranty, copy your entire story from above and request TWO new omega springs. If one is still holding, it may well be near failing as well. Like everything in life, the omega springs are not all perfect, but chances are the next ones will last your lifetime and then some. Benchmade will make this right for you. Don't get another switchback from the same retailer until he refreshes his stock. You may even want to let him know in case he wants to avoid problems with other customers.

You're 100% right, I returned it to the same dealer, most likely from the same stock. No worries about someone else getting one though, they were the last two, and it's a discontinued model, so no more victims. It's a pity, it's a really cool knife. Then again, so was the AFCK.

That's what I was afraid of with the lock. It sure feels just like the other one did when the spring was obviously broken and I could jiggle the tail around. No amount of poking and prodding seemed to show me anything on this knife.

Oh well, that's life I guess. Here's the reason why you don't own just one EDC knife. (cowers in shame)

Off to Benchmade I guess.

If you don't have another knife to edc and can't make it for 2 or 3weeks without one, here's a good chance to pick up one of the inexpensive, high-value bargains out there. Lot's of folks have taken advantage of the $40 Spyderco Native deal at Walmart, for instance. Or try a Byrd or an $8 Opinel. Or if you can't dig up a SAK from your drawer, then now would be a perfect time to fix that.

It is very smart to get this taken care of. I agree that the possibility of it opening in the pocket is nothing to toy with. A lot of people would wait for it to comepetely fail, but it is smart to get it fixed now and not take any chances with your safety. Knives can bite.

In any case, please do not lose faith in your Axis lock. Despite the problems you have had, you have what many (most?) knife enthusiasts consider to be the best lock available. And after this, it should be rock-solid reliable. It is (or will soon be) a great knife.

Back