Q: Manix 2 LW Normal Lock Gap?

ChineseKiwi

Gold Member
Hi all, have just joined the forum after purchasing my 5th Spyderco this week and have a question about early production run Manix 2 LW models.

I already own a Waterway, Caribbean, Para 2 Left Handed and a Matriarch 2. Those have all been purchased new from authorised dealers.

The Manix 2 LW S110V I have just bought is the first model I have acquired from the secondary market. The gap between the ball bearing and the blade interface when the knife is locked open is much bigger than I was expecting. Is this normal?

20231219_144502.jpg20231219_144639.jpg
20231219_150315.jpg

That's normal. It's not the plastic cage that's locking the blade, it's the 3/16" BB inside that plastic cage that engages the tang of the blade.

Thank you for providing some reassurance. It is coming to the end of my first year in the hobby... I started 2023 only originally wanting to get a better hunting knife for dressing deer and then fell down a rabbit hole with folders once I decided I wanted something more modern than a Buck 110!

The USA made Manix 2 FRCP feels quite different in the hand to the USA made Para 2 in G-10 I already have. It also looks different from the Taichung G-10 and Seki FRN models I have at home. I am a little jumpy with someone recently trying to sell me a counterfeit Hulk 181 (1st full Wolverine appearance in a comic book) on a local auction site. I was hoping that NZ would be too small of a market for fraudsters and was disappointed that greedy crims were operating in my neighbourhood, if you know what I mean?

Looks a touch farther back than the two I just checked but the knife looks legit from the pictures. Counterfeits usually mess up the font, hardware, grind lines, etc. If it locks up securely, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back