Quality Big & Tall Clothing

. . . or as I call it Tall & Fat. What are some quality big & tall stores? I've been to the XL and big & tall stores and their quality is not good. But I have found that places like LL Bean (good quality decent prices) don't really cater to the bigger person.

I don't need giant clothing but most places go XXL at the most, 48 jacket, 42 pants, etc. I need more like XXXL, 20" shirts and 48" pants

Right now I'm just looking for some decent shorts for the summer

im in the same boat my friend...i have alot of trouble finding quality stuff that doesn't break the bank....casual male is expensive if u ask me...i have gotten some stuff from there and its lasted a long time and fit well.....kingsizedirect is ok but there stuff is cheap and the quality shows for the most part.....ive had some good luck at jcpenny's but its kinda hit or miss...i like their sweatpants they have........good luck boss....ryan

Try Westport or Rochester. With Tall & Fat clothing..., you get what you pay for. Yes, I am tall AND fat!!!:)

Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers will have good stuff in 44. Probably a few $, but you usually get what you pay for.

I have had Polo shorts that have lasted for 15 years, so the cost is really less a $30 Columbia short that wears for 3 years.

And since you are a Vermonter - you will fit right in with the Bennington and Middlebury College crowd!

I like casual male XL but they are a bit pricey. I found JCP to actually have 4XL tall shirts which I like. I have several of their shirts that I bought a year ago and they're holding up very well. 4 of the t-shirts I bought there I use as part of my work uniform so they get worn and washed once a week for almost a year and they aren't showing any signs of wear at all. And they are inexpensive too. Got some nice polos for about $12 each I think.

I just wanted to add that K-Mart has decent big and tall stuff. Their "Basic Edition" khakis and plain white long sleeve button down collar shirts are my office wear most of the time. The pants go up at least to 48" and the shirts to 4X which seems to be about a 20" neck\35-36 inch sleeve. I also saw that you can order a lot of big and tall stuff on their website.

The Basic Edition stuff is, well, basic, but it is really cheap and I think good quality. The cloth is fairly "heavy" not flimsy feeling. I have lost a couple buttons off of the pants, but they wear well. I have never had a rip or lost a button on the dress shirts. The collars eventually fray, but that's where all dress shirts end up wearing out.

Penney's is--or more accurately "was"--good for menswear across the spectrum, casual up to dress clothes, but lately they just seem to be out of everything, and even the out of stock listings are narrower than they used to be.

Cabelas can be good for a decent pair of dress/work khakis and casual shirts (ditto with BassPro)

If you wait for the sales Duluth Trading has some excellent stuff, and their sizing is shall we say generous.

Sierra Trading usually has a good selection of big men's sizes at huge discounts, but it's also hit or miss, Sign on for updates and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as you see something(and maybe buy a second one for the future) since it's likely to go away sooner rather than later. I've also had some luck with Burlington Coat factory, an outlet chain here in the East, but again it's not a sure thing.

The chain Big Men stores can have some good stuff, but as noted they tend to be pricey.

Lastly, eBay can be a source once you know what you want, brand wise.

Anyone here ever go the bespoke or custom tailored route?

OUr local tall and fat shop has Dickies gear - my son (21, his rugby team mates call him 'Tank') likes their cargo shorts and they seem to wear well.

I usually shop at Casual Male too. Not too many options out there, unfortunately.

Okay, this is a good topic. It is funny I joined a knife forum to stay in gadgets. I am not fat. I am honestly ripped. I am huge though. I am not bragging nonetheless. So anyhow get this. Neiman Marcus. The big mans stuff is much less because they cannot sell it. Most stores will have a 28 shirt and 64 suit. plus smaller ones. Or if a casual shirt a 5x. I have seen belts there up to 58. ymmv. They do not always all have everything and they will not order that stuff. I feel DXL is a ripoff. It is Target clothing for 4x the price.

It seems easier to find clothes if you are 6’5”and 335lbs than it is trying to find clothes if you’re 6’5” and 235lbs. Finding jeans locally with a 36” inseam and a 32” waist is nearly impossible, so I either go to the city or shop online.

Last edited:
. . . or as I call it Tall & Fat.
Another Rodney Dangerfield fan!

Sierra Trading Post is a shadow of its pre-pandemic self, but it is still worth looking there for large sizes. Go to their web site, open the search menu for all Men's Clothing, open the sub-menu Special Sizes, and check mark both Big and Tall. That shows all the large sized Carhartt stuff.

Uncheck both Big and Tall, open the Size sub-menu, and check 2XL, 3XL, 4XL and whatever else works for you. That shows all the large sized non-Carhartt stuff, and that is where you will find some shorts.

Don't bother signing up for Sierra's emails: their -20% and -25% mailing list coupons went out with SARS-CoV-2. For $89+ orders, code SHIP89 gets free shipping, and that's worth going for because their shipping is expensive.

If you need a large sized snap brim cap, find a merchant that sells Borsalino: their sizes go up to 8 1/4. They also make very large sized Panama hats and felt dress hats, but their prices are ridiculous.

UPDATE: Borsalino went bankrupt in 2017. Nowadays someone is making hats labeled Borsalino, but US sizes 8 and 8 1/4 (EU 64 and 65) are not listed. Tilley lists some hats made in size 8+ but those sizes are all out of stock.

Last edited:
Back