Quality of modern Case knives

Normally I'm stictly a SAK guy but I am thinking of picking up a Case Peanut in SS.
Before I do so, I have a few questions that hope you can answer.

What is the general quality of modern Case knives? I read mixed opinions. Some say they're good, others say things like "gap city" etc. etc.
Also, how is the 'tru sharp' steel compared to Victorinox and how sharp do they come out of the box? Do they need a lot of work to get really sharp?

I will say that modern Cases in fine working order with good snap, walk'n talk, and fit and finish DO exist. The problem is that you have to:

A. Work with an online dealer who has no problems taking the time to inspect their stock of model XYZ in order to make sure the one you get is one of the aforementioned gems.
B. Better, go somewhere that sells Case knives in person so you can inspect them and find one to your satisfaction.

I have bought a couple Cases recently, and they're very nice examples. I worked with Blade Supporting dealer New River Knife Works New River Knife Works who took care of me. I'll have to get picture up later.

I've had quite a few Case knives. I may have gotten one dud out of a hundred. They don't seem very sharp out of the box because they intentionally leave a burr on the edge, which can be taken off very quickly with a few swipes on a stone. I've gotten used to doing that when I first get them. I heard they do it to protect the edge. I don't understand how that protects the edge but that's just what I heard. I only buy Damascus & CV Case's, because they run their Tru-Sharp a little too soft for my taste. All in all, I'd say they still make a good knife that's worth the money they're asking.

Last edited:
The ones I have are fine, though I do not think I have bought any in a decade.
One used plastic lockback I have from them has an issue engaging fully but it was used, so I have no idea how it was new.

My opinion is, if you are looking for a flawless knife, you are in the wrong price ballpark. My luck with Case knives has been really very good. Most of mine are pretty well centered, and their jigged bone handles are some of the best in the business. I see occasional slight gaps at the back spring/liner, but these knives are well under the $100 price point, so a few slight gaps don't matter to me at all. If I was paying $400 and up, I'd insist on tight seams.
That is the "average" Case knife to me.... I have had very good luck with Swayback Jacks, Sowbellies, and Copperheads. All of mine have been borderline excellent, with the exception of one sowbelly that had a weird surface finish on the blades...

One area Case could definitely improve on is their factory edge grinds. Plan to work on evening the grinds up and smoothing them out.... but they will take a very nice edge.

Is Case worth the money? In my estimation, absolutely! I think they are, for the most part, a bargain in a traditional slip-joint knife.

Like Quiet said, find a dealer that will work to find you a good one, or like I have started doing look at the actual knife you will be purchasing in person.

This year alone I have sent back at least 6 brand new knives for warranty work. Most were for blades rubbing on the liners, one had a gap large enough to put a business card in. Case took care of the majority of them without issue, but told me some of the smaller gaps were not an issue to them. They can make a great knife and when you get a good one it is really good, but buying sight unseen is a gamble (you will likely lose).

Thanks so far! My problem is that Case knives are not to be found in regular shops where I live (Europe).
So I will have to order online. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks so far! My problem is that Case knives are not to be found in regular shops where I live (Europe).
So I will have to order online. Would that be a good idea?

Absolutely. Plenty of Bladeforums supporting dealers should be able to assist you! :thumbsup:

Case knives will have small liner gaps... but so will Victorinox, Rough Ryder, GEC, and Boker.
If gaps are a big concern of yours, go get a custom. But to my mind, small gaps don't effect the knife.
You will run into a Case knives here and there that don't have a centered blade, but the same comment pertains to RR, GEC, and Boker too.
Maybe these flaws happen a little more regularly with Case knives, but they WILL happen with the other brands... and you're risking a lot more money with some of the others.
And nobody does jigged bone handles, pins, and bolster transitions better than Case, they are the top of the line in production knives for this category.
If you want a Case Peanut, pick one up on the used market. It's a very low money risk for potentially big rewards.

Last edited:
I've gotten about five new ones in the past month and they've all been pretty decent. A couple actually came sharp, believe it or not. I've had an up and down relationship with Case, but recently I've been more than happy with what I got for the price....

Neither their stainless nor the cv/carbon needs a lot of work on it to get a very good edge. When I've had new ones in, find stropping is usually sufficient. These are relatively soft steels for ease of use on a pocket-knife and if it's a Peanut you're after then sharpness won't be a problem on this very small knife (are you sure you realize just how small the pattern is?)

You say you're in Europe, which country? So am I but recently I've found that CASE dealers will not ship to Europe due to some bizarre edict from CASE. Maybe that's been rescinded now` Should be.

Very fair knives for a fair price, remarkable range of scales and their Medium Stockman, Penknife, Swayback, Sodbuster are very worthwhile carry in my 20+ year experience.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks, Will

I have purchased 6 over tha last 2 years and did not have any issue. Give them a shot.

I have ordered 5 over the last couple months and had to send 1 model back on 2 occasions. I am pleased with the overall brand. Sharpening them is a breeze. Like Will Power Will Power stated stropping them as soon as I have recieved them has turned out to work for me.

I've had good luck with almost all of the Case knives I've ordered online. I have "a few" & I've only gotten one that had a bit of blade play. The liners & springs on mine have all been tight. My only gripe is that the edges are sometimes ground a little wonky, but that's an easy enough fix. I like traditional knives with a good snap, and my Case knives have been more consistent in that regard than my GEC's.

I was at the local ace today. Of the ones I looked at, They had a swayback that was nearly flawless, as was a peanut.

They had two 18 pattern stockmans that had zero snap on the sheepsfoot and very little on the Spey, and were gritty. One had the tip of the main blade higher than the liner. A simple kick adjustment but shouldn’t have been on a new knife.

They had a teardrop that had one side handle scale at the rear bolster half the thickness as the other side, and it was lopsided in the handle in height from one side to the other.

Of 9 modern era knives made by case between myself and the wife.

I have a new 032 stockman that the large blade touches the middle liner when the sheepsfoot blade is open. It is going back.

I have a second 032 that ain’t quite right on the snap of the sheepsfoot blade. It feels mushy when open. It’s going back.

I have a mini copperlock that’s okay. And so does the wife.

I have a 75 stockman I carry all the time that’s just fine.

I have a full size trapper that came in a blister pack that went back twice because the blades would hit the backspring hump inside when let snap closed, causing a ding on the edge. They finally got it right and now it’s a keeper.

The wife has an 18 pattern stockman that is just fine.

The wife has a mini trapper that is fine.

On the mini trapper, I tuned the blade stop to let the Spey blade open more, giving a lesser angle. I did this to the sheepsfoot blade of the 75 stockman, the 18, and atleast one of the 032s.

I have a small pen knife that needs a new main blade because the tip is broken, but might as well have them address the lack of snap on the small blade when open. It’s going back.

So of the new ones I have bought, none suited me for various reasons. Some I remedied, some were sent back, some are in the queue to go back.

Makes a man wonder why he even gets a case knife anymore. I guess the reason is, once you have a good one, it’s a lifelong friend.

I say, since you cannot get one in person yourself, find a buddy on the forum that will go to the effort of hand selecting one for you, and do a straw purchase. Or become a paying member and put a want to buy add in the classifieds.

I gravitate to Case mostly because I grew up with them. Generally, the quality is usually pretty good in my opinion, as long as you’re keeping in mind it’s a $50 to $65 American made traditional pocketknife. Do I expect absolute flawlessness in fit and finish at that price point? No, but I do occasionally come across examples. Any flaws I find usually do not affect function, and are just cosmetic, and I’m not the type to shy away from fixing issues that aren’t cosmetic myself, but not everyone is, which I understand.

I have no issues with either Tru Sharp stainless or their CV for my uses for a pocket knife, but I also don’t expect crazy hard super steel performance with my small pocket knives and don’t “hard use” them to need it. Both are easy to make sharp and maintain, though I generally put my own edges on whenever I get them.

. Or become a paying member and put a want to buy add in the classifieds.
Anyone can post a WTB. Only gold and above can see them.

For the op, the last 2 case knives I've gotten (medium stockman and a pruner) are great. I've also got a mini trapper that I bought in 2005 that's excellent. The only one I had issues with was a Slimline trapper that rubbed the liner, but I was able to crink it straight without any issue. From what I've seen in my limited time here, the peanut is one of the models that case gets right more than wrong.

Reactions: JM2
Back