Review Quality test with 8cr13mov

Hello pals,

So i compared 3 8cr knives 2 from Kershaw and 1 from coldsteel.

The Kershaw shuffle 2 was disappointing. I felt like the steel couldn't bear hard use tasks like peeling off veneer or prying stuff open. This was one of my first knives so i completely ruined it with a kitchen sharpener. It rolled like an mfer and lost some material in the middle portion. You can tell how the steel quality changes once you go up the price

Kershaw eris - a little more expensive, around the 50$ mark for 8cr blade but the quality was noticeable right from the start. It kept the thin grind during the time i used it. And i only had to sharpen it once, the steel wasn't grainy or felt weird like the shuffle. Good stuff I am surprised by the quality.

Cold steel double safe hunter - aside from a beautiful design i barely used it so I can't say much, but it looks alright so far. You can see how well its machined and theres barely any lock grease inside. I can't judge the steel yet but its shaving sharp after just a few uses

I have a Spyderco byrd Cara Cara II made with 8cR steel and I have been carying it for the last year at work, BTW I farm. I have found it to be a very forgiving steel even when I cut a rubber fuel line and used the aluminum plate of the combine as a cutting surface and sticking it into the ground to see how wet the soil is. I generally sharpen it every two weeks and it has been great. I don’t try to pry with it as its just not that sort of knife. I used to carry my police at work but feel better beating up the cara cara. Thanks for sharing though.

I have a Spyderco byrd Cara Cara II made with 8cR steel and I have been carying it for the last year at work, BTW I farm. I have found it to be a very forgiving steel even when I cut a rubber fuel line and used the aluminum plate of the combine as a cutting surface and sticking it into the ground to see how wet the soil is. I generally sharpen it every two weeks and it has been great. I don’t try to pry with it as its just not that sort of knife. I used to carry my police at work but feel better beating up the cara cara. Thanks for sharing though.
Spyderco seems to do a great job of heat treatment with 8cr. They out preform many other brands using it.

Back