Queen Cutlery and Northwoods knives

Hi,
what is your opinion on Queen cutlery and Northwoods knives? How is fit and finish and overall quality?
As I understand, Northwoods knivs are made by Queen, right? Is there a difference in quality? Or what is commanding the higher price? And while we are at it - is Schatt&Morgan File&Wire series also made by Queen?

As for these companies - do you think I would do better opting for slipjoint or lockback?
Thanks.

Queen makes a good product. Their knives don't come with a great edge in my experience. I had a Queen Linerlock with D2 steel. Great fit and finish. Queen makes Schatt and Morgan which is very good quality in my opinion. I haven't had any experience with Northwoods. Queen namebrand products will cost much less than S&M or Northwoods even though they make them all.

I am very happy with my Northwoods Scagel in 1095.
47b8d832b3127ccec40f2dfff52b00000026108QctGbJs3bA9vPhY

I have a Queen Canoe Classic in 1095 and it is a beautiful knife. I am very impressed with it. I also have a Moore Maker Whittler (Queen) in 1095 and it is also a good knife but the fit and finish weren't what I expected for what I consider an expensive knife. I can't say for sure if Queen manufactures the Moore Maker of if they just provide blades, bodies...

I have a Queen and a Northwoods mini-trapper. The fit and finish on the Queen is very good. The fit and finish on the Northwoods is even better. Everything--from the tighter match-up of the scale to the bolsters, the mating of the scales to the liners, and the "walk and talk"--is better on the scales. The edge was even better on the Northwoods.

Two is a very small sample size, but it is apparent to me that more attention was given to the overall Northwoods-branded knife than the Queen knife. I really do like the Queen, it is a very good knife with better F&F than, say, my Case knives. It's just that my Northwoods is even better.

Per Queen, their Schatt and Morgan line are their best fit and finish with premium materials and more unique patterns. The S&M line often has swedges on the blades and fancy bolsters. In general the Schatt and Morgan File and Wire series leads the pack with ATS34 steel and is the best Queen can do, except for some special projects like the President's line and the Dan Burke knives. Better than some customs. Their contract work can be as good as Schatt or Morgan or lower in quality depending upon the contract.

Northwoods uses a mixture of suppliers for their knives. Some work is by Queen, some work by them and possibly some work is by Northwoods using Queen parts. I believe some knives are all done in the Northwoods shop. They have been evolving over the years. Each knife may have a different build history, but all go through the Northwoods place in Michigan before release. One article said that all finish work is done in Michigan although parts of the work can be done by other firms including partial assembly.

Back