Queen Cutlery question

I've just acquired a Queen Birds Eye Maple Muskrat in fantastic condition. On the tang there is the normal Queen & Titusville PA and below that there is
PH-D2. I'd like to know what this PH-D2 signifies. Does anyone know, please? David:)

Thanks Phil & Lambertiana. I knew someone here would know & your responses were almost instant. I appreciate it. David

Meadville is not far at all from Queen, Neither is Erie for that matter..Not a big deal to me anyhow...Take care Mike

Yeah, I agree about the edges. I just got a new #9 ACSB stockman, and it was dull as usual. HOWEVER, this knife is just about the best build quality slipjoint knife I have ever owned, edges aside. The blade grinds are perfect, the springs just right, walk/talk etc. excellent. I started with the coarse diamond Lansky hone and worked my way up to the superfine hone, and now it is both sharp and beautiful. I don't know the Rockwell hardness that Queen is getting from Peters Heat Treatment on their D2 blades, but it takes more than a few minutes to rebevel the edges to twenty degrees even with the diamond hone. Some fairly hard stuff.

They do make one hell of a knife , nice lookin ,heffty, they just need a new persons to set there and sharpen them up( right) before shipping..I would think they heard of the unhappy edges they are putting out by now..hate to see them go under because of something stupid like edges ,the main part of the knife..Take care......Mike

l have several queen knives and really like the D2 steel. I don't understand the beef about the edge. Just sharpen the dang thing. You're probably going to do that anyway. This way you can put the edge you want on it. When I buy a knife I don't expect it to come razor sharp out of the box and when I sharpen it eventually I would probably change what the factory has done. So I guess it just not that big a deal to me. Yes it is hard, Yes it needs sharpening but they make a pretty good knife for the price with some good steel. It just doesn't bother me to sharpen it. Maybe others think different than I do.

l have several queen knives and really like the D2 steel. I don't understand the beef about the edge. Just sharpen the dang thing. You're probably going to do that anyway. This way you can put the edge you want on it. When I buy a knife I don't expect it to come razor sharp out of the box and when I sharpen it eventually I would probably change what the factory has done. So I guess it just not that big a deal to me. Yes it is hard, Yes it needs sharpening but they make a pretty good knife for the price with some good steel. It just doesn't bother me to sharpen it. Maybe others think different than I do.

Amen to common sense!:D

Point is, a new knife SHOULD be sharp on delivery.Of course it will get blunt&need sharpening,eventually but if it isn't sharp out of the box it means the cutler can't be bothered to do his work properly. It creates a poor impression in my view.

i agree 100% with willgoy. that's why i stopped buying Queens (plus some blade play and whimpy springs). sure, i can polish my car. but when i buy a new one, i would not accept a dull finish and being told "well, you can polish it yourself". roland

I don't think I have ever purchased a new knife that was so sharp that I did not have to sharpen it or at least run it over some shapening sticks. (oops -- now that I think of it I have purchased some of Mr. A.G. Russell's knives that didn't need sharpening. Some of his funny folders are really sharp). I don't have the money to buy custom knives so I buy what some of you buy--- Case, Queen, Northwoods, Canal Street, Camillus, Moore Maker Schrade etc. They cost about 50-100 dollars, right around in that price. I have not had any problem with Queen or any of the other brands. I don't let my knives sit in a box. I work them hard. None of them stay pretty very long and they have to be sharpened every few days. So if I have to sharpen it right out of the box or I wait a few days to sharpen it, because it came sharp from the manufacturer, just doesn't make that much difference to me. I consider myself pretty fortunate to never have received a clunker considering I own several different brands. Sharpening it, oiling it and taking care of it is somewhat therapeutic for me. If Mr. Willgoy or Mr Rprocter expect a $50-$100 knife to be razor sharp from the manufacturer they are entitled to their expectations but I think you get a pretty good knife with good steel from any of the above manufacturers and if it is not real sharp when you get it, well I don't mind spending a few minutes doing it my way. Some of the guys on the forum might think otherwise.

Fair enough.but all I can say is, I don't have to sharpen new SAKs ,Opinels, CASE or even cheap Chinese Rough Riders or in fact ANYTHING except Queen/ Schatt&Morgan. Odd...

Fair enough.but all I can say is, I don't have to sharpen new SAKs ,Opinels, CASE or even cheap Chinese Rough Riders or in fact ANYTHING except Queen/ Schatt&Morgan. Odd...

I've never goten a Case, Opinel or a Rough Rider that didn't need sharpening. I only have one Rough Rider, so feel free to discount that one. Even a few of my SAKs have need to be sharpended. In fact, I can't think of any brand I've gotten that has had consistently good edges NIB. That includes Queen, pre-Taylor Schrade, Boker, Buck, Colonial, Imperial and Leatherman. Adimitedly, Queen is more consistently bad than most, but some of them do come reasonably sharp. As always, YMMV.

Leo

again, i agree with willgoy. often a Case will have a burr along one edge, and this is easy to remove. but for my Queens, i have had to re bevel to a less obtuse angle and with D2 this takes time and a greater level of skill. roland

My one and only experiment with Queen was a country cousin with D2. It came very dull and it was a royal pain to put an edge on. I ended up having a knife making friend re-profile the edge for me.

Like it has been said, a dull knife out of the box made a very bad impression on me. I can't help to feel that the cutler had an attitude "the heck with it,". I've been to knife shows and looked at thier knives new in box, and they needed to be sharpened.

I have bought Victorinox's that were razor sharp out of the box as well as Opinels, and Case soddies. In the case of Case, a light stropping or a pass or two over a hne was needed only sometimes.

This tollerence of sloppy product finishing botheres me because the company obviously tollerates it. To me this says something about the corporate attitude. Like a slowly creeping fungus, this attitude has been ruining American buisness. Schrade and Camillus went out partly because of it. The American car companies in the 70's and 80's lost a great deal of buisness to the Japanese because of sloppy Q.A. I drive a Toyota and Karen drives a Honda because of it.

If Victorinox, Case, CZ firearms, and Honda Motor Company can deliver a product that need no knife smith, gunsmith, or mechanic to be good to go from the start, then there is no exuse for the rest of the companies not to get thier act together and finish their product to compete on the open market.

This may sound bizarre, but I'm getting in the mood to buy another Queen knife:D

I don't have anything in the Carved Stag Bone and as it's out of production I think I'll buy one, I do have the Amber Bone Stag and that's very nice scales. So, let's see if the next Queen I get will be like the others I have, blunt and resentful at being sharpened. I don't expect a new knife to be fabulously sharp, cutting papers,shaving my face but I do want it safe to use and straightaway from new. On my desk I've got a cheap and modest Italian slipjoint in 440 with very nice bone handles,no bolsters very slim. This is TERRIFYINGLY sharp:D In a recent thread I read that somebody had sent his new Queen away to Bark River to get it reground,it came back excellent but why SHOULD you have to spend 25 dollars for something that should be done by the cutler before it gets to the customer? Doesn't Queen have machines capable of sharpening that tough D2:eek::eek: I'll let you know what the Carved Stag Bone Mini Hunter turned out like, when I can find somebody to buy it off that is!

OH my gosh Mr. Wilgoy!!! Your last post really cracked me up. I'm still laughiing and really hoping you get the sharpest knife Queen has ever put out. Good luck man.

Back