Queen Mountain Man Lockback

My first Queen knife was a Mountain Man lockback – I bought it 6 or 7 years ago. It was a handsome piece but suffered from the worst blade play I have ever experienced in a knife. Attempts to tighten the blade a bit didn’t have a lasting effect and I eventually gave up and got rid of it.

There have been a few times when I have been tempted to get another and a few months back I succumbed and bought a new Mountain Man lockback with Zebra Wood scales. I emphasise ‘lockback’ as Queen offers the same style as a slip joint option.

First impressions were good. The grip scales were striking and well fitted. The knife opened smoothly and locked up with authority. There was no sign of lateral blade play and only the smallest amount of vertical play – well within acceptable limits.

010.jpg

012.jpg

There were a couple of negatives – the tip was clear of the grip when the blade was closed and the blade was typically Queen blunt.

Both of these were remedied. Some metal was removed from the kick which got the tip of the blade where it should have been and some diamond stones got the edge into shape. Queen uses D2 on these blades and the initial work required on the blade was significant – the stuff is hard.

I own quite a few Queen knives now and most have required a lot of work on the edges. Once you get it right it seems worth it as the edge holding is very good and touching up the edge is not difficult.

These knives don’t come with a sheath. I have carried it a few times in the minimal affair shown in the pics. It works ok on a belt but I don’t have a great sense of security with these types of sheaths. The Mountain Man is a big folder and I have used a Buck 110 synthetic sheath a few times with it and though a bit long, the Buck sheath is ok.

024.jpg

I have included a couple of comparison pics with the Buck 110 to give an indication of size. Length is just a little less than the Buck and the Queen is slimmer in the grip and a bit lighter.

021.jpg

018-2.jpg

027.jpg

Overall I like this knife a lot. It looks good; is well made from quality materials; feels good in the hand and the D2 holds up well even when compared to the modern “supersteels”.

Pete

Hi Pete!

Thank you for the great review... I´m already eyeing with some Queen knives... but I don´t know which one to choose. I think this could be a good start. Great and informative review :) I have the Buck 110 (for sure ;) ), does the knife also fit in the leathersheath of the 110? Has it a lot of play in there, because it s a little thinner?

Thanks!

Kind regards
Andi

Andi - it will certainly fit and it is secure with the flap buttoned but the sheath is still bigger than it needs to be. I tried a 112 sheath and with a bit of stretch I can do up the button on the synthetic sheath - the leather one would need some more effort but could be done.

Nice looking knife. Do you have the dimensions of the blade and handle? I can't find that anywhere.

Queen makes some nice solid stuff. Just be prepared to speed some time putting an edge on what ever knife you choose. I have a Queen 2 blade Copperhead and it is perfect in the F&F department. Their 1095 holds a good edge once you get your edge established.

Andi - it will certainly fit and it is secure with the flap buttoned but the sheath is still bigger than it needs to be. I tried a 112 sheath and with a bit of stretch I can do up the button on the synthetic sheath - the leather one would need some more effort but could be done.

Thank you for the info :) I definitelly need any Queen... unfortunatelly they are not available here in good ol' Germany...

Kind regards
Andi

Hi Pete,

Thank you for the great review on this knife. I was looking at this knife in stag but, after seeing your's I might have to go for one in Zebra wood too. That is a very striking set of scales.

Thx,
FT

I took a tour at queen and GEC few years ago. Was awesome. The building alone is cool to see. Very very old. And there very close to each other if your ever in Titusville Pa I'd reccomend stopping in. The owner was a sweet heart, she gave my 9 yr old daughter a toothpick model for free!!! Was very nice if her and my daughter was really excited.

Back