Queen Mountain Man vs. Buck 110

It depends what you want.

You'll probably get better F&F on the Buck, and it'll have a sharper blade with a better heat treat. The Queen will have nicer handle materials, but based on posts here you'll have about a 50% chance of getting one with blade play. I was able to get a Buck off the Bay for $17. I don't have a Queen, but I do have an Schatt & Morgan MM (same company) which is beautiful, and mine has no blade play. It was considerably more expensive. If I have a dirtier job to do, it goes to the Buck.

-- Sam

If you like risk, try and get the MM.
I tried twice, getting two of them through Cumberland Knifeworks, where Bill is supposed to handpick them if you ask him to do it. No luck, or maybe I expected too much of a brand like Queen. The locks (both of them) weren´t half as solid as a Buck, a Spyderco or even some cheaper china-made folder. Living in Spain, I won´t take that risk again, 'cause sending back isn´t worth it.
But I have to admit they're beautiful ....

After I sent mine in to Queen, they took care of most of the blade play. I think it saw a sharpener, but it wasn't razor sharp when I got it back. That said, I like it much more than the 110.

I agree with Sevilla in relation to the MM. If you are going to buy sight unseen from another country as I did, then you are taking a chance. If you can see the knife before you buy it would be a different thing. I own both knives - a couple of stock standard 110s and a stag bone MM.

The MM is a bigger knife than I expected - just marginally shorter than the 110, but doesn't weigh as much and is thinner in the grip.

The MM doesn not come with a sheath and I find a bit big for the pocket, so you may need to make or buy a sheath.

The D2 blade of the MM is an impressive piece of steel - it holds an edge very well but some folks find it hard to sharpen although I haven't really found this to be a problem. The 110 is definitely an easier sharpening prospect and edge holding has always been more than adequate for me.

I have seen some recent posts that raised quality concerns about Bucks - my 110s are a few years old so I don't have any experience with recent models. I have have never personally had a quality problem with a Buck knife.

Aesthetically, I prefer the MM. I also like its lower weight. I prefer the nickel silver bolsters over the brass ones on the Buck. I don't like the excessive blade play and for that reason, if I bought one sight unseen, I would go for the Buck.

i have a Queen Mountain Man in 1095, from Cumberland. luckily there is no blade play, the lockback holds it tight. stag is attractive anf fit 'n finish good. agree it needs a sheath and belt carry.

i`d take a queen over a 110 anyday . i have heaps of queens and two buck 110s , and i use neither of them . i use my queen #26 . perfectly matched stag , and quite sharp after nothing but a strop. IMO its d2 is far superior to the buck`s 420 as well .

I have both, my queen is carbon steel. They are both good knives but the carbon steel takes the cake, it is terrific.

Give me a 110 anyday. I had a 1095 & stag Queen MM briefly. It was part of a SFO, waited months for it and sent it back immediately. It was one of the most poorly made knives I've ever had. About triple the price of my 110 and wasn't even in the same league.

which do you prefer----the Buck

and why? ----- Its a Buck

sort of like a harley if you have to ask you won't understand

I have one Queen MM. Fit and finish is, on the whole, very good. Mine does have a little vertical blade play, but the lock-up is still strong. Some one ground just a wee bit too much off the tang. I know others who have gotten perfect ones and others who have had horrible luck.

I've never owned a 110. They have absolutely no appeal to me and never have. I do own other Bucks. Buck does seem to be more consistent with quality, but you can get bad ones. I know, because I have.

If you're buying sight unseen, you're taking a chance on getting a bad one. Both companies have good reputations, so you should be able to get a good one eventually.

My favorite is obviously the Queen. Aesthetically, I find it far more appealing. Functionally, it suits me better too. The 110 is just too heavy and the handle isn't as comfortable. Personally, I have no trouble carrying the Queen in a pants pocket; front or back. YMMV.

Leo

110 for me! :) Mine has great grinds (my Queen has bizarrely asymmetrical swedge grinds) and came with an ultra-sharp edge out of the box. It also opens very smoothly, as opposed to the Mountain Man, which was gritty.

My Buck has a bit of blade play, but it's not too bad, while the Mountain Man had a huge amount of play. I sent it back to Queen and they did improve it some, but the play was still pretty awful. (They also replaced the 1095 blade, which had a bad heat treat.)

The Mountain Man is a good-looking knife and I love the design, but the one I had was just very poorly made. I wouldn't say that my Buck 110 is perfect, but it's a really nice knife and an incredible value. The sheaths that come with the 110 are great too! :thumbup:

Back