Queen/S&M 420?

Blue Sky

Gold Member
I'm getting interested in some S&M slips and would like any opinions about the usability of Queen's 420 steel. Comparisons with Buck and Case 420 would be helpful.

I believe the steel is about the same.But in my experience, Case has vastly superior fit and finish to Queen or S-M (the same firm of course). Case offers consistency, Queen is more dubious.

I believe the steel is about the same.

All 420 true, but all 420 is not the same. I'm familiar with Buck 420HC and satisfied with the performance it gives (all things being equal) but I've read Case Tru-Sharp is not very impressive. I haven't heard much about Q/S&M 420 in a user hence my question.

I have one Queen with 420 blades. They did a good job on this one. It takes a very good edge. Edge holding is on par with a Vic SAK. Going head to head with my Harvester and the Queen, I can't tell a difference. Buck's 420 tends to run harder and hold an edge a bit better. IMO, Buck does the best job with 420.

WARNING: CAN OF WORMS BEING OPENED

In MY experience, Case Tru-Sharp isn't that great. The last Tru-Sharp knife I bought was 2 or 3 years ago. The blades were too soft for whittling. Wouldn't hold an edge for more than four or five minutes. It would have done better with a thicker edge, but thick edges don't whittle well. Performance was average when compared to the Tru-Sharp knives I'd tried in the past. My Seahorse Whittler is on the high end; lasts about 15 minutes before it needs a touch up. The worst I've ever owned was Red Pocket Worn stockman bought in 98 or 99. My first Case. It couldn't handle anything more stressful than peeling oranges. Surprisingly, to me anyway, the best I own is my Hobo. I tried it on wood recently, only used it on food before, and it can go a half hour or so before it needs touching up. I know a lot of people here have had good experience with Case's Tru-Sharp. I'm just not one of them. I wish I was, I love some of their patterns.

Leo

There's also a distinction of course between 420HC and regular 420. I think the relative carbon contents are something like .05 and .02 respectively. All else being equal, the 420HC is going to be the superior cutlery steel between the two.

My understanding is that Case and Queen use 420 HC in their 420 blades, and Canal Street uses regular 420, also known as 420J2.

That doesn't mean anything in and of itself because there are other factors, namely heat treatment. However, I've shied away from knives with 420J2 blades.

IMO, Case True Sharp is very servicable for general utility needs. It gets very sharp and holds an edge pretty well. Knives that I'm going to use for whittling however need to be high carbon steel like 1095 or CV.

Buck, Case and S&M (Queen), all use 420HC and just from my personal observations from using knives by all 3 I would rank them:

1. Buck (hands down, their heat treat puts them well ahead)
2. Case
3. Schatt & Morgan/Queen

S&M/Queen, of the knives I have had, just seemed very soft and did not hold an edge that great.

Buck, Case and S&M (Queen), all use 420HC and just from my personal observations from using knives by all 3 I would rank them:

1. Buck (hands down, their heat treat puts them well ahead)
2. Case
3. Schatt & Morgan/Queen

S&M/Queen, of the knives I have had, just seemed very soft and did not hold an edge that great.

TLC, do you have any experience with the Canal St. Cutlery 420 blades? I don't, and I've heard mixed things. Some people say they perform pretty well.

TLC, do you have any experience with the Canal St. Cutlery 420 blades? I don't, and I've heard mixed things. Some people say they perform pretty well.

I had a CSC Congress for awhile, didn't really use it much. I bought it and then found out it was 1 of 50 so I sold it to someone that collects them.

Factory edges were very sharp though.

The Canal Street steel is an open issue. It is (or was) listed as "420" on CSC's site. Other vendors have listed it as "420". But CSC also lists some knives as "420 high carbon". They have not, to my knowledge, issued a statement as to exactly what steel is used in their knives.

But I would also point out this thread, in which many people relate their good experiences with Tru-Sharp.

I find Tru-Sharp does everything I need, but then, I'm fairly realistic about my expectations of a $30-70 pocket knife.

-- Sam

Back