Quench question.

I am working on a couple choppers and I have a question on quenching. The blade is 80CRV2 .375x2x16.5" OAL. I normally quench using canola oil @ 120-130 F. I am concerned about a blade this thick not getting fully hard at the quench. Any input would be appreciated.

So your edge is 0.375" thick? It will harden for sure..

.375" is not the same as .0375"

Just control your heat so that the blade is evenly heated and it shouldn't be a problem. the spine might be a bit softer, but that shouldn't be a problem on a chopper.

With that steel you should be okay, but you'll need a high volume of oil. You'll want to agitate the blade and/or the oil as well.

I'd want a minimum of 5 gallons of oil.

With that steel you should be okay, but you'll need a high volume of oil. You'll want to agitate the blade and/or the oil as well.

I'd want a minimum of 5 gallons of oil.

I agree with Nick. I would want at least 5 gallons of oil, and make sure that you soak your blade long enough in the heat treat process so that the entire cross section is at temp.

I have found that even my .25" thick blades at the ricasso need to be soaked for longer times.

Thanks guys, I ground the blade high saber and left about .040" edge thickness and I do have a five gallon tank. I plan to hold at austenitizing temperature for 10-15 min before quench. I am also looking into some thermal cycling options to make sure everything goes into solution. I have not used this steel before and any info would be helpful.

Back