Question about 880SP Liner

catmath 1911

Gold Member
I have a situation that I need some insight on. I currently own two Buck Strider SP's. One is a pre-production, and is at Buck Knives as I speak receiving a tune-up ( Thanks Mr. Houser). The other is a current, non-ambi model. I have noticed something strange about the latter. The liner has a tendency to stick, and when the knife is flicked open (I don't flick my knives open usually, just done here to test the liner) The liner travels almost all the way across the tang of the blade ( doesn't want to release too easily either). I disassembled the knife, and polished the contacting surfaces with a felt tip on a dremel tool, but it did not help.

Is this something I should be concerned about. I didn't really play with the Pre-production model before I sent it to Mr. Houser, and I have only had the ATS-34 model for two days. I got the ATS-34 model to use as a working knife, and other than missing two screws on the handle( my fault by the way) which Josh Rummerfield is so graceously taking care of, I couldn't be happier.

So to sum it up, what should I do about the locking liner on my Buck Strider folder? If someone could provide some insight as to what to do, I would be most appreciative.

Andrew

catmath 1911

Titanium is softer than the blade, so when opening with a hard motion, you are jamming it up onto the blade. Thus the sticky effect. On the Version 2 Striders, we are flame treating the tip of the liner so that with a normal motion, it will not stick. If you open it up fast and hard, you are still jamming the liner up onto the blade. If you look at your liner, you are damaging/denting it when opening hard. Tune it up properly, just enough pivot tightness so that there is no blade movement side to side, and open with swift, but sure motion, and it will not stick.. Mine can be flicked open with a quick thumb motion.

The model you have has the old washer set-up, non-ambi, and no flame treated liner.. there is a thread here with all the changes I made..
If you want send it to me, and I'll fix it up for you.

I gave Josh your screws this morn.. :)

Jeff

Mr. Hubbard,

I would indeed like to send it in to you if you wouldn't mind. If you wouldn't mind, could you send me an email ( catmatheny@hotmail.com ) with all the particulars( where to ship, cost, etc.) and I'll get it out to you ASAP.

Andrew

Back