Question about a rough finish SAK...

Fisher of Men

Banned
I just received a Victorinox SAK as a gift from a fellow forumite. Thanks buddy :)

I have a SAK Climber and also a SAK Super Tinker and also one of those little ones that are about 1.5 inches long. All three of these knives have red plastic scales that are glossy smooth.

The one I just received as a gift has a rough matte finish. I don't even know what it is. It has a large blade, a small blade, a bottle opener and a can opener. There is nothing on the bottom of the SAK.

I think it's a Recruit but I'm not sure.

My Questions:
1. Why the rough finish?
2. Is this still an option?

Thanks,
David :)

Every now and then, this comes up for sale at the local Wal Mart, Sports Chalet and other various sporting goods stores. Personally, I like the polished Cellidor handles better because on the rough versions, the Swiss cross tends to rub out and erase over time, whereas the polished cellidor versions the cross is embedded and proves more resistant.

My seven year Vic Camper has those rough red scales too. I like them more than the polished ones. And about the cross ? It's about the tools, not about some stupid silver paint :D

The cross on the cellidor models is metal and inlaid. The cross on the economy (nylon) models is impressed and painted.

Paul

That made me wonder about the cross logo on my Stayglow Climber. It has the same rough scales and the Swiss cross seems to be just painted on. I dunno if how long it'll last.

The cross on the Stayglow models, the larger 111mm models, and some of the 58mm models are just painted on.

Paul

Back