Question about anvil restoration vs. simple cleaning

I used to weld repair diecast molds with H13 rod. Even though it isn't ideal we also used it to build up length on some shear blades that would cut paper backed Mylar insulation for motor stators. The welded blades held edges just as well as the original. I would not have a problem welding up the corners of my Trenton with if they bothered me enough.

Do you know where you got the filler metal?

If done right will increase value considerably.

I use/buy/sell quite a few anvils, as well as track what they're selling for pretty carefully and it's very uncommon to see a repaired anvil go for anywhere near what a reasonably intact original anvil sells for. Even if the repair looks okay, there's no way of knowing if it's really okay until it's been used for quite some time. Nobody wants to be the one to find out the repair wasn't done as well as it appeared, so that keeps the price down.

If the anvil starts out completely trashed and it's repaired I can see the value increasing, but the OP's anvil doesn't fall into that category at all.

I use/buy/sell quite a few anvils, as well as track what they're selling for pretty carefully and it's very uncommon to see a repaired anvil go for anywhere near what a reasonably intact original anvil sells for. Even if the repair looks okay, there's no way of knowing if it's really okay until it's been used for quite some time. Nobody wants to be the one to find out the repair wasn't done as well as it appeared, so that keeps the price down.

If the anvil starts out completely trashed and it's repaired I can see the value increasing, but the OP's anvil doesn't fall into that category at all.
It really depends on how bad it is and how much repair. My statement was too broad.
I've been messing with anvils for over 25 years, but not too much lately.

Back