Question about blade replacement

Whats up guys!

Quick question about BM's blade replacement service. I am in the market for a used mini-grip right now. From time to time I will see a beater on ebay or a forum go for under $50. Lets say I buy a 557SBK knife.... can I send it to Benchmade and have a 556BK blade put on it? Or will they only replace it with the blade you send them?

Also when you do a blade replacement can you upgrade steel? If I buy an old 440c grip can I have a 154cm blade put on it? Or can I go from 154cm to D2?

Thanks!

I spoke directly to BM CS about this a few days ago. Unless the steel you send is no longer available they will give you the closest equivalent steel available. Since they no longer offer 440c the lowest quality now would be 154cm. No upgrading even if you offer to pay more. Your available choices are Satin blade SE or PE, which is $25, and Black blade (if available for the model) SE or PE which is $35.
Hope this helps

Thanks... if I send in a mini grip with a tanto blade can I have the drop point blade put on as a replacement?

Agreed. I posted this thread thinking at least one other person has send in a mini-grip and wanted to try a new blade type but I guess I was wrong. Call or email it will be.

I hope they will let me send in a knife and try a new blade style, that opens up my buying options a ton
Your best bet is to call or email benchmade. Call will be much faster.

I once had a drop point 551 with a black coated combo edge, and realized that I hated serrations.
I sent it in to Benchmade (with $30) and got a satin finish154cm plain edge sheepsfoot blade installed on it. No questions asked.

I can't say if they have changed their policy or not since then, but they sell more griptilians than you can even count. I don't see why they would quibble over a different blade shape.

Either way, their customer service dept is top notch, and I highly recommend giving them a call. They are good people and they will do you up right.

-nate

Last edited:
Back