Question about CA sheer strength

RayseM

Platinum Member
Could someone please explain this nomenclature to me when referring to the sheer strength of CA glue or epoxies? Thanks very much.

Shear strength(N/mm²) - what does N per square millimeter represent?

Compared to say - 4000PSI tensile & sheer - which I understand PSI to be Pounds Per Square Inch.

Thanks M Mr.Wizard - I'll need to study that to come up with an equivalency. I'm a bit slow in this dept. But - I'll give it a try. At least I know what the symbols mean!

RayseM RayseM What are using wanting to use the CA glue for,I know that CA glue isn't the best choice for taking impact's where epoxy is.

Thanks Tigerfan Tigerfan , I've got it figured out.

wade7575 wade7575 - mostly light woodwork. Tricky mitered trim pieces. The heavy use might be on big crowns but only needed to hold until dry and then I can pin solid without movement. ALSO, useful for making jigs and little toys.

I have determined that the CA glue I am inquiring about has less PSI sheer strength than a basic yellow glue and certainly less than West Systemm G/flex. Still it is very useful. Was just trying to compare a Fast Cap product to a Starbond. Starbond comes in last re:pSI, but has some advantages over the FC.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Back