Question about dating a Randall

I have a model 3-7 stag Randall with 7 spacers (3 thick, 4 thin) and a brown-button sheath (stone is missing). Sheath says RANDALL MADE KNIVES ORLANDO, FLA under the model numbers. I assume it is a Johnson sheath (it is roughback), because it does not say Heiser. Correct?

I am trying to buy one of the dating sheets for Randalls, but no luck yet. Can you give me an idea of the age of this one?

Hi Gary,

There's some debate as to when Johnson started supplying brown button sheaths to Johnson. Bob Hunt wrote an article on this subject that you can view on his website:

http://www.randallcollector.com/Summer2003.html

Bottom line is "roughly" '62-'64. If the logo on your sheath is positioned horizontally as opposed to vertically then it's one of the early ones. Hope this helps.

One of Sheldon's Timelines will show up on e-bay before too long. Sheldon checks in on this forum from time to time, so if he has any left he'll let you know.

Ron

The logo on the sheath is oval (as usual) and is perpendicular to the length of the sheath. In other words, you hold the sheath upright (not horizontally) to read it.

Correct, Gary. Your's is not one of the very early Johnson BB's. No big deal. Sounds like you have a great knife and sheath there!

Ron

Thanks much. It's a fine knife, excellent condition, and one I'll keep in the center of my collection. Anybody know where I can get an appropriate sharpening stone for it?

Gary,

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying here, but if the widest part of the logo stamped oval runs the length of the sheath, then yes, it's probably a '62/'64 era sheath - if, however, the wide part of the oval crosses over the sheath (perpendicular, as you said) than it's more likely a '61/'62 sheath...either which could have shipped as late as the mid 1960's...

As to our Timeline; I think Jim Nowka over at KFC http://store.knifeforums.com/index.php?cat=70&showitem=70 may still have a few left, but those are certainly the last of them...we may do a 3rd edition towards the end of the year, but are focusing on our hardcover book for now (almost done Ron, almost done)...

With regards to a 'correct' replacement stone - they're kinda hard to find, and expensive. I do have a stock of vintage replacement stones by a former RMK supplier, but they are not stones that were ever shipped w/any Randall knife. If you want one of those to hold you over, PM and maybe we can work something out...

Sheldon

Gary,

I think Shel's right on the sheath (I misunderstood) and it should be an early one. The correct stone is a grey Norton printed "Combination Crystolon" (second line) "Made in USA". As Shel said they're hard to find not accompanied with a knife and sheath for sale as well. Check e-bay under "sharpening stones", etc. and you may get lucky at some point in time.

Ron

Thanks much to both of you (Ron and Sheldon). Indeed, the logo crosses the sheath (as you say): '61/'62. I will check on the timeline and the stones. Sheldon, let me contact you again when I return from my upcoming trip. Use the email provided?

Gary

Gary, Roger that...

Shel

p.s. Ron, we found another 'oldie' today, a riveted post-WWII stacked leather 'humped' #1-6, right-hand Heiser, red snaps...belly, belly cool :cool:

About the sharpening stone. Contact "Randall". I don't think the size of the sharpening stone is any different (if so they will tell you). I think you can buy a stone from them, and I don't believe they are very expensive.

TPU,

The last time RMK shipped out the gray Norton two-part combination crystolon stone that Ron alluded to above was sometime right around 1968...however, to be even more specific; while some of the 'boxed logo' Norton stones were still being shipped in the very early 1960's, the most common stone type from the early to mid 1960's period was the same two-part stone with white ink stamped text...FWIW, as a footnote, the yellow ink stamp didn't show up until sometime around '65 or '66...

But yes, you are correct, RMK does sell the current deliverable salmon/orange colored stone to the public, and as you said, they're not very expensive...totally wrong for the period, but not very expensive.:thumbup:

Ha, turdsRus...besides, I'm photographically too (photogenically?) challenged to post pics here - I'll email 'em to ya...

The Model #1-6 is a single hilt with a long pronounced scallop in the blade spine forward of the index finger scallop...I think it's a WWII Blade that was built into a 'Camper' sometime between late '46 & mid '49...it looks kinda like the #5 in the '45 catalog, but with a more pronounced hump :cool:

It came as part of a four knife collection...the others are a 1960's 'KIT' etched #5-6 NS hilt on FG stag handle w/standard Duraluminum end cap; another unmarked Kit knife, a '60's #2-5 w/rosewood handle & 'conehead' style Duraluminum end cap (this one is actually pretty cool, the maker started the point at the tip of the exposed tang and turned it down to the handle, ala 'silver bullet' style)...and, an 'old yeller' #2-5 w/scalloped collar & coolie cap...

I kinda wish I'd found the seller a little earlier on, as he mentioned in passing that these four knives were the last of his original 114 RMK's...:eek:

Back