Question about edge angle to sharpen

Hi everyone I have a couple auestions. May i know what is the edge angle to sharpen a Cold Steel Voyager XL? I use the lansky sharpening kit. And if so, would most cold steel folders have the same edge angle?

I'd suggest marking the edge bevels with a Sharpie and then starting with the 25* slots. Do a very light pass (no pressure on the stone) at this setting and see where it rubs the marker off. If it rubs off near the very edge, you'll need to lower it to the 20* slot and try again. If it rubs off near the shoulder (where the edge bevel meets the flat of the blade), then you'd need to move up to the 30* slot. My guess is that it will be somewhere below 25*. If it's below 25*, I'd just use the coarsest stone to reprofile the edges to 20*. If it's above 25*, I'd reprofile to 25*.

To answer the second question (sorry, forgot that in my original reply), CS knives have different angles, depending upon the model. I've seen CS knives as low as 12-13* per side (Tuff Lite) to up around 30* per side (6" Ti-lite).

Ooo interesting. However, my Voyager XL seems to have 30-40 degrees on the Voyager logo side but around 20 degrees on the Cold Steel logo side. Isnt this weird? Made me order a extra coarse diamond hone to be able to reprofile both sides to 20

It's not uncommon to see factory edge angles that vary from side to side, no matter the maker. However, this sounds like an extreme case. There have also been reports here of recent CS models having some pretty obviously asymmetric blade grinds, so it sounds like that might be the case with yours. I haven't experienced anything that extreme, myself, yet, but it's not unheard of. The work should go pretty fast with the extra coarse diamond, though. :thumbup:

I have also heard that on consistent angle sharpeners, like the Lansky, the edge grinds on the knife might be even, but because it is not clamped in perfectly, the sharpie trick will show different angles.

I have also heard that on consistent angle sharpeners, like the Lansky, the edge grinds on the knife might be even, but because it is not clamped in perfectly, the sharpie trick will show different angles.

Indeed. I didn't even think of this, but it's very true. I haven't used a Lansky clamp in a long time. Thanks for mentioning it. :thumbup: You definitely want to make sure your blade is as straight as possible in the clamp, particularly if it's a full flat ground blade, which can be quite tricky.

Back