Question about factory edge.

Just a question for anyone that has a Taiwan Sk5 Recon Tanto or SRK, was the factory edge good like the Japanese models or did they need touching up? How do they compare to the aus 8 and vg1 models do you like them more? Thanks!

terrible edges on the 2 I have. so obtuse close to maybe 60/65 range degree inclusive. had to reprofile to get them to be anle to cut through paper.

I like them as being lower cost, but the quality of coming sharp with even and consistent angles isnt there. that said the vg1 Japan versions I have came with terrible edge as well. very obtuse as well. just poor factory job on edges. i also see this on about every spyderco I have from seki city. just terrible sharpening and very obtuse and uneven angles. the vg10 san mai Taiwan one I have was the best of the bunch but did require a bit of sharpening and touching up to cut paper.

meanwhile the 01 recon scout and 01 trailmaster I have came sharp as all get out.

the inconsistency is annoying. easily fixed by reprofiling but I really dislike having to reprofile a brand new knife...........

Than
terrible edges on the 2 I have. so obtuse close to maybe 60/65 range degree inclusive. had to reprofile to get them to be anle to cut through paper.

I like them as being lower cost, but the quality of coming sharp with even and consistent angles isnt there. that said the vg1 Japan versions I have came with terrible edge as well. very obtuse as well. just poor factory job on edges. i also see this on about every spyderco I have from seki city. just terrible sharpening and very obtuse and uneven angles. the vg10 san mai Taiwan one I have was the best of the bunch but did require a bit of sharpening and touching up to cut paper.

meanwhile the 01 recon scout and 01 trailmaster I have came sharp as all get out.

the inconsistency is annoying. easily fixed by reprofiling but I really dislike having to reprofile a brand new knife...........
Thanks for the info! I did get a couple of sk5 tantos and I also had to sharpen them the factory edge was bad but fixed easily. I have the same experience with my enduras all of them came pretty dull!

I have the same experience with my enduras all of them came pretty dull!

Really? I've never got a Spyderco that was anywhere near dull. Them and CS(knives anyway, not swords, 'hawks, or machetes) have the best factory edges in my experience.

Really? I've never got a Spyderco that was anywhere near dull. Them and CS(knives anyway, not swords, 'hawks, or machetes) have the best factory edges in my experience.
seki city ones....not golden or Taiwan ones. not all of course but consistent bad......meaning think wide obtuse bevels. just got an atr and so dull wasnt even funny. bevels were easily over 60 deg inclusive and variated across the entire edge in many degrees. so trying to even get it sharp is an impossible task without a reprofile. have to reprofile it but haven't made time yet. really dislike "super" steel reprofiles even the old supers like s30v.

It’s been a mixed bag for me, I’ve owned three Yojimbos and one was dull the others popped hair from the factory.

seki city ones....not golden or Taiwan ones. not all of course but consistent bad.......

I've honestly never had any issues with any of the Seki City ones I've had, maybe I'm just lucky. I will say the BY FAR sharpest knife I've ever gotten, from any company, was a Seki City Spyderhawk.

I've honestly never had any issues with any of the Seki City ones I've had, maybe I'm just lucky. I will say the BY FAR sharpest knife I've ever gotten, from any company, was a Seki City Spyderhawk.
they arent all bad, just lately last couple years quality of sharp edges has gone down. quality of all sekis has gone down a bit too......

Mine came with a decent edge. You're not going to get a 22˚ angle on a knife with a working edge. It cuts boxes without problem and wood, also without issue. But if you want to cut hangnails, you're going to be disappointed.

I got mine about a year ago and compared it with my Carbon V model and they're about the same. The Recon Tanto SK-5 is a wonderful knife and I wouldn't want a finer edge on mine. Again, it's a good "working" edge.

I ve never been too concerned about how sharp my folders were out of the box. When I was very picky (obsessive) about sharpness, I always sharpened my new knives as soon as I got them. I could almost always improve the factory edge. Now I m happy with a good working edge and will just do touch ups on the factory edge, if it was really sharp oob. I sharpen when I have to.

Back