question about INFI

Hi guys,
do you think INFI is enough stainless to be used in a satin finish camp knife? I’m deciding about my first Busse and since I use my camp knife also to prepare food I think coating is not ok for my needs.
I’m quite sure: NO in a satin finish!
What do you think about that?
Bye

You will not see any kind of corrosion during food preperation. The only problems would be if you left it sitting covered in blood and/or fruit acids for an extended period of time (hours). Even in this case the corrosion is likely to be minimal (I have done it for much longer) and is easily cleaned off. Deep pitting is very unusal on INFI, my SHBM has done long soaks in salt water and only has very light specking to show for it after a light scrubbing.

All that being said, I severly doubt if a coating would be a heath problem. The kinds of foods you would need to be cutting up that could remove a significant amount of the coating, would probably not be something that you could tolerate eating, something like one of the bugs from Aliens. I don't recall however any studies done on the toxic nature of coatings, mainly because they are in general so difficult to remove you would only be taking in trace amounts, there would probably be just as much Kydex on the blade.

-Cliff

Bear,
I sure can't add anything to Cliff's answer.

However, I would agree with you that the NO in either Satin or Coated would make a great Camp knife.

Let us know what you finally decide :D

Yeah, that's what I was going to say :D

I’m deciding about my first Busse and since I use my camp knife also to prepare food I think coating is not ok for my needs.

Again, I agree with Cliff. I don't think the coating would be a problem. Bottom line, it's not coming off on food stuffs (unless you're cutting a lot of bone or something).

On that satin NO, sounds great! I think that would look sweet, and perform even better :D

However, FYI, Busse will introduce some new models pretty soon (apparently), and it is quite possible there will be a replacement for the Badger or the Mean Street. However, I'm not knocking the NO, I know it will be awesome.

Bear, don't rule out the Satin Jack LE. It's satin and purty and 3/16th. It would make a great food prep knife.:D

Chip,
the only reason why I’m with the NO instead of SJ is because of my hands that are quite big. I’ve never handled either the NO and SJ but, from the pictures, the NO seems to fit a big hand better. Don’t you think so?

Bear,
yes, you are right, if you have big hands the NO and all the E style handles will fit you VERY nicely. The E handles are very comfortable and give excellent control.

Bear, You are probably right, I have small hands and love the
Satin Jack. Duh, now I now why they call you the Bear!!!;)
The NO would probably fit your hand better. Sorry bout that.:D

Back