Question about modding

Hey there Hogs.

I've recently done a trade for a Muddy Meaner with kydex, and I'm really looking forward to getting this one in my hands, the only thing is I think it may be a touch thick for my liking.

I'm thinking of giving it a flat grind, or at least paying someone else to, but I was wondering if its possible to get a blade like this recoated?

Is there a product out there that acts in this manner?
I've heard of something called gun blue, but I don't know how it works and stuff.
I would only be looking for something that is easy to apply, I have no access to spray guns and crap like that, just a shed with a bench, with some basic hand tools, although I'm slowly collecting tools for knife making etc its just a matter of time.

I may not do this to the meaner, but I may consider it to my AD, as that has done some good work for me before, and I'd like to see it in my hunting pack.

Cheers

I have a friend that owns a local body shop and we were experimenting trying to figure out a way to recoat knives. The closest we could come up with was to use a polyurethane black primer over mixed with hardener. Unfortunatley you would need a spray gun to do this but if there is a body shop close to you they may be willing to do it for you. Bodyshops always have older paints laying around they can use without having to charge you for materials. Another option is to use a product call SEM chip guard http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=284 however I believe it is only available in clear.

Ultimately the best option would e to send it to Busse and have it recoated as that is the most durable coating I have seen yet.

Hey Wal.
I don't think you will get much joy from gun bluing. As far as I can tell, the finish is a type of parkerised finish.
This finish is still done when restoring old Australian Army .303 rifles and on other more modern ones. There are not many people that do it commercially but a gunsmith should be able to find one for you.
This is just the opinion of myself and an ex-Army friend. Have a look at a parkerised finish and see what you think. (By the way, only some .303's are parkerised so you'll have to look around.)

There are several folks here that could regrind a knife for you. Tom Krein, Bill Siegle, and Ban come to mind first. This will void the Busse warranty.

The original coating is an oven-cured powder coating. Most people are happy to have the look of a ground/satin knife, they don't usually try to recoat it. There is a thread about that, I think.

INFI will NOT take a blue.

Good luck, enjoy your modding. :thumbup:

There is a crinkle coat in a can product used for refinishing corvette valve covers that I found at an autoparts store. To my recollection it only came in black but its appearance is very similar to the busse black crinkle finish, though it does take 3 coats and about a week to cure to full hardness(no baking required), and I doubt even when fully cured it will be as durable.

Back