Question about Rivet Press (and pics of first sheath)

I just made my first sheath, sacrificing an old revolver holster I had for the leather. I really enjoyed making it, and it's got me wanting to do a lot more leather projects.

My Question is: I have in my head that a press would be nice to have for doing snaps, rivets, eyelets, stamps, ect. I've heard of people using Arbor Presses, but I don't understand how that works without heavy modification. I see Antique cast-iron riveters on ebay for cheap, but it seems that would just be good for rivets, not snaps and stamps. What should I be looking for?

413439350.jpg

413439349.jpg

413439352.jpg

413439351.jpg

check out Tandy item 3990-00 snap setter press. It handles a multitude of different snaps rivets, spots etc. It is fairly expensive, and especially if you get several of the dies sets. I have had mine for years and use it almost daily. Rarely if ever do I have a ruined snap or rivet. It works beautifully, but if you have limited need (i.e.. infrequent use) then the cost factor doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also take a look at the hand setters for rivets and snaps. An arbor press can be modified to do the work but that is above my pay grade.

Paul

With an arbor press you need to drill a hole in the ram and the plate, typically 3/8". KnifeKits and US Knifemaker sells them with the holes already in them. The main drawback about an arbor press is that they have to be bolted or clamped down to something sturdy or they'll move around or flip over. You'll also need to find or make a depth stop if you need one.

The Tandy press is handier since it can be moved around and still be stable. It's dies are also 3/8"

GoldStar Tools sells a couple similar presses cheaper, but the die shanks are weird (post and screw) and they won't accept dies from other brands. The dies are cheaper though if they fit your needs. Don't think there's a stamp option though. One size of the snap dies is a little off and doesn't work with some other brand snaps IIRC. I don't remember which one. These presses are also imports and can also be found cheaper by looking around (I got mine on that auction site for like $20).

There's also Weaver's press, Index Fasteners', foot presses, and a bunch of other options. I have the four listed above and if I had to make a suggestion it would be the Tandy press Paul recommended if it's in your budget since the dies are more fitting to your needs and it'll take ones from some other brands (like US Knifemaker's eyelet dies). I've also heard good things about Weaver's Little Wonder (which uses the same dies), but it's even pricier.

Back