Question about the type of Damascus CRK uses?

If you here http://www.devinthomas.com/pages/heat.html

You will see that the Damascus used by Chris Reeve knives is probably the High Contrast and Double High Carbon Damascus. However which is used for which? The reason I looked into this is because I noticed that the Spiral Damascus I am ordering is a more expensive option that the raindrop option (I love both!). I could not see how the raindrop could cost less as it looks even more complex than the spiral pattern. Now don't get me wrong, both look stunning to me, but is the raindrop et al used by CRK the High Contrast and the Spiral the double high carbon? Thus the reason for the price difference? If you look Devin does not make all the steel all the time in all the patterens...

I am fairly sure that CRK would use the better Double High Carbon pattern Damascus, but I was just interested... Sad aren't I?;)

I believe the cost difference between high contrast and double carbon is not in the raw material cost that Devin pays, but in the patterns he chooses to make out of each type. The Spirograph pattern falls into the category of an "exotic" pattern, whereas the more common ladder and raindrop patterns are "standard" patterns.
When Devin first introduced the Spirograph pattern, he said that it took a long time to develop and was incredibly difficult to make. It is a premium cost pattern over the simpler raindrop and ladder patterns, and as such CRK charges more for this pattern.

Back