Question About Wood

Wood darkens. It's part of the charm.

29095659274_096a17da56_b.jpg

I have no idea what wood was used on this Camillus Sailor's Knife. Seeing less "seasoned" specimens I know it isn't ebony.

...I personally wouldn't recommend renwax for any carry/user knife, as it is likely to rub off in your pockets and on your hands and yadda yadda...

I use Renaissance Wax on all my non-stainless knives. Used appropriately (applied sparingly, and excess wiped off while wet) it will not rub off, as it dries hard.

I use Renaissance Wax on all my non-stainless knives. Used appropriately (applied sparingly, and excess wiped off while wet) it will not rub off, as it dries hard.

Ah, thank you for a different perspective. The only knives I ever received in renwax looked and felt like they were covered by a drippy candle. So I just assumed it was good for storage but not for day-to-day use. This is good to know though.

Ah, thank you for a different perspective. The only knives I ever received in renwax looked and felt like they were covered by a drippy candle. So I just assumed it was good for storage but not for day-to-day use. This is good to know though.
I've used renwax on my wood and micarta. It definitely needs to be rubbed in, but it gives a nice polished finish, and adds a slight bit of tackiness to the feel. I don't use it every day, but I use it for more than storage knives.

...The only knives I ever received in renwax looked and felt like they were covered by a drippy candle...

It will do that if you’re too dumb to read the directions.

I know this because I didn’t read the directions the first time I used it on a handgun. Oops!

It will do that if you’re too dumb to read the directions.

I know this because I didn’t read the directions the first time I used it on a handgun. Oops!

Ooooh, I'll bet that gummed up the works... (your response cracked me up, btw.)

What sort of longevity do you get from using Renwax over mineral oil or something else like that?

I've been using Howard Butcher Block Conditioner on wood and sometimes on the blades for the last couple months,
have been very happy with the results so far. Has anyone used this long term and if so what has the outcome been?
It's basically mineral oil, beeswax and carnauba wax.

Its likely Rosewood...
I use orange oil on it and a beeswax carnuba wax furniture polish to lushen the old boy up a bit.

I've been using Howard Butcher Block Conditioner on wood and sometimes on the blades for the last couple months,
have been very happy with the results so far. Has anyone used this long term and if so what has the outcome been?
It's basically mineral oil, beeswax and carnauba wax.
I can tell you that the waxes are best from Knife making for over twenty years and another 25 before that working with & restoring Knives, Swords Military collectables. They help with leather as well. Back to the original topic, All woods oxidize and darken over time, UV Light, oils & dirt on our hands & pockets . “No matter how clean we think we are”. Short of covering with a Marine grade Lacquer as mentioned early. Woods will darken..

Anybody try rubbing the occasional drop of tung oil on their wooden scales?

I have never really thought about how my wood handled knives will look down the road. I use automotive grease, bar oil and whatever else to help weather proof them. I like boiled linseed oil as well. I keep a container of that for new handles and whatever else I need preserved made of wood.

"There's no crying in baseball!!!".... waxing your knife handles???? What kind of a metro-guy does THAT????

Just yankin your chain, of course... seriously, I've noticed nearly all of the nicely figured "normal" woods like cocobolo, rosewood, etc tend to darken to a uniform "almost black".

I have never seen a pic of an old bocote handle, though... I wonder how it resists darkening... guess I'll have to goober it. I've also noticed that highly figured goncalo alves grips on handguns tend to keep their "grainy" appearance through lots of use.

Back