1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Question About Wood

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by ghostrider, Dec 29, 2019.

1. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Wood darkens. It's part of the charm.

[​IMG]

I have no idea what wood was used on this Camillus Sailor's Knife. Seeing less "seasoned" specimens I know it isn't ebony.

Peregrin likes this.
  2. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Whoops...double post.

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    100% agree. :cool::thumbsup:

waynorth likes this.
  4. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I use Renaissance Wax on all my non-stainless knives. Used appropriately (applied sparingly, and excess wiped off while wet) it will not rub off, as it dries hard.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  5. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Ah, thank you for a different perspective. The only knives I ever received in renwax looked and felt like they were covered by a drippy candle. So I just assumed it was good for storage but not for day-to-day use. This is good to know though.

6. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I've used renwax on my wood and micarta. It definitely needs to be rubbed in, but it gives a nice polished finish, and adds a slight bit of tackiness to the feel. I don't use it every day, but I use it for more than storage knives.

7. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    It will do that if you’re too dumb to read the directions.

I know this because I didn’t read the directions the first time I used it on a handgun. Oops!

8. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Ooooh, I'll bet that gummed up the works... (your response cracked me up, btw.)

What sort of longevity do you get from using Renwax over mineral oil or something else like that?

9. TOM K.

TOM K. Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2016
    I've been using Howard Butcher Block Conditioner on wood and sometimes on the blades for the last couple months,
    have been very happy with the results so far. Has anyone used this long term and if so what has the outcome been?
    It's basically mineral oil, beeswax and carnauba wax.

10. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Its likely Rosewood...
    I use orange oil on it and a beeswax carnuba wax furniture polish to lushen the old boy up a bit.

11. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I can tell you that the waxes are best from Knife making for over twenty years and another 25 before that working with & restoring Knives, Swords Military collectables. They help with leather as well. Back to the original topic, All woods oxidize and darken over time, UV Light, oils & dirt on our hands & pockets . “No matter how clean we think we are”. Short of covering with a Marine grade Lacquer as mentioned early. Woods will darken..

Prester John and TOM K. like this.