Question concerning SRK design

The SRK is my favorite fixed blade and I use it a lot around the garden, took it with me to survival school etc..
I always wonder what the design idea behind the huge unsharpened portion/ricasso (the part with the SRK Logo) is. I usually use it to choke up on the blade when making some notches, hooks etc., which works pretty good. Is this the intended use or is there any other reason for this unsharpened part?

Gesendet von meinem XT1562 mit Tapatalk

good question. it is looks much like the ''kicker'' for a lockback, but seems only to serve the purpose of been a displaying section for the brand. *because it would have been shape better if it was a choil*

That was my thought too. I use it as if there was a choil because I don't really like the idea of sacrificing edge (near the handle, the part of the blade where you can apply a lot of pressure when cutting wood etc.) and I wonder if they made it that way just to put the logo on it or if there was any other intention, maybe it is really there to be used to choke up on the blade.
BTW: although there is no real choil I do not feel like my fingers might slip on the blade because you can squeeze the guard between your index and middle finger which gives you a firm grip

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity......does anybody else use the unsharpened portion as a "choil"?

After some searching on YT I found a video where a guy also uses the unsharpened part like a choil. Unfortunately the video is in french so I don't understand much of what he's saying but his SRK looks like it handled a lot of woodworking in the past years and he seems to be very happy with it

Last edited:
A few years back Lynn advised me that it was intended to be used as a choil if needed

I don't use mine in that manner. My fingers are just chubby enough that my index touches the very end of the edge when held this way. For someone with slender fingers, I can see how it could work, though.

it does make for a choil, but I feel if could have been slightly better shape if it was it's primary function. but it works!

It's simply a ricasso, a design element that goes back centuries, if not milennia. It's not a special or unique feature. The SRK borrows heavily from the Marble's Ideal, which has the single quillion and the pronounced ricasso. You can use it choke up on the blade, or pinch between thumb and forefinger, but it's not just a billboard for the manufacturer.

BTW, my Carbon V SRK just arrived yesterday. I stripped the over-thick coating and am thrilled with it. What a great tool! I, too, hook my forefinger forward of the guard and onto the ricasso and agree it could be indented for better utility and a bit longer for, say, gloved hands or thicker fingers. But that's a small complaint for me.

Zieg

41787935.jpg

Back