QUESTION: Design difference between a TRIAD LOCK and regular BACK LOCK?

Hello everyone,

Been in Bladeforums for years and being a knife entusiast for even longer. However I currently don't own any Cold Steel products. Long ago bought two Pocket Bushmans, kept one (gave the other one as a present) and ended up selling the one I kept to someone who was going to actually use it much more than me. I enjoyed that boat anchor a lot, however it was not meant AT ALL for EDC (by my standards at least).

Anyhow, I would like to get my hands in a new folder and there are quite a few that I like. But before I pull the trigger I would like to know more about the mighty TRIAD LOCK. Could anyone elaborate the differences between a regular lockback and a TRIAD? Or even better, provide a few pictures/diagrams or animated .gif that shows how does it work internally?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OO9gHsscyc&t=0m46s

00:46 to 02:53 (MM:SS).

It has a stop pin between the blade and the rocker bar, so they way it transfers and absorbs negative force (ie: force down against the spine of the blade) is more effective. Also, as the rocker bar and blade take abuse and chip from wear-and-tear, the rocker bar engages more, so you don't have vertical blade play introduced as you beat up the knife.

There are some test videos on their site that might interest you. My fav is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIu8JLybCkE

There are other videos where CS blades (their locks anyways) outperform competing knives that are double the price, and not only survive the abuse, but zero blade play.

If you look at any of their catalogs since coming out with the TriAd lock, they show a cutaway view of it with description. You can access the catalog archive on their website, but it seems to be down at the moment.

Thanks! I just found a few pictures of a RAJA folder where all the pieces are shown and I noticed the stop pin you were talking about. Makes sense. Now back to the catalog to see which one I end up buying!

Back