Question for a woodchuck

I am the recent proud owner of a 20" Sirupati with a beautiful wood handle (saatisal?). Anyway, did the usual treatment: remove the "red stuff" with multiple washings of Murphy's oil and started the linseed oil treatment alternated with sanding with 0000 steel wool except for the first sanding with sandpaper 150 grid. Here's my question: The more I apply the oil and sand the wood, the DARKER, the handle gets and looses the definition of the various lines in the wood??? I usually wait 24h between coats. What am I doing wrong?
HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Pierre, you say you are using linseed oil - Is it a prepared finishing oil, or straight boiled linseed? _Usually_ (almost always) the Tru Oil, Formby's Tung Oil, and other perpared concoctions will brighten the wood (making the surface slightly translucent, like oil on parchment) and subsequent coats will create sort of a lens, letting light into the grain, but without any color change. Also, is there any way to know the age of the oil you are using?

Walosi:

It is straight boiled lindseed oil (generic brand from Home Depot). It is about 3 months old. Like you I am puzzled, especially when I see the pictures posted by Ferguson and the beautiful results achieved. Some of it is your work I believe. Anyway, got to stop typing away, I have a handle to sand before the next coat....

Pierre -
There is boiled lnseed oil, and there is boiled linseed oil - some give good results, and others - just don't know. One reason I stick to Tru Oil and Formby's is that they give repeatable and _usually_ predictable results, given good grades of wood. I'd sand it down and change to one of these. They should blend with the linseed already in the wood, and might straighten out the problem to some extent.

The dust bunnies told me to quit worrying about any of this. They assured me they would take care of everything.

Seriously, many thanks for good and expert help.

Back