Question for LEO's

Myself and a few neighbors my age were making use of rotting pumpkins by playing a dodge-ball like game with them outside. I was supposed to be in by 8:30 so I had to leave. About 40 minutes later I got a call from one of my neighbors saying that somehow they had started throwing pieces of pumpkins at cars :rolleyes:. I guess they hit a car and the driver called the police, and a cruiser showed up at his house. The officer told him it was stupid, asked for his name, date of birth, gave him more lecturing (I'm sure he knew it was a stupid idea, but the officer had to make sure he wouldn't continue). His parents weren't home so the officer asked for his name again and said if he knocked it off he wouldn't have to talk to his parents. He's now worried that this is on a record somewhere, and for all I know they did write him up for it just for future reference, or they could have taken the information to scare him. It sounds like he didn't even hit any cars, he was just kind of there while a couple of other kids were. He doesn't want this to haunt him, and I wanted a LEO opinion as to what the officer would do. I think he got let off VERY easily, because throwing anything at a car at 9:00 at night is never a good idea, and could have resulted in a crash. But at the same time, he's a really good kid, hasn't ever been in trouble, and I think that he somehow slipped up. Do you think anything happened such as a write-up, or was the warning the full extent? If it makes any difference, he's a few months over 16 and I don't think he has any record.

Im not leo but to get on his record im pretty sure he would of had to of been officialy convicted or at least arested.

I'm not sure of the exact details, but I think he was at his house alone and the driver had turned around and saw him, then called the police. The officer asked where the other kids were, but I called a few of them and nobody said anything to them, so I guess that may mean nothing happened.

Nah, they just identified him so should a motorist complain later they would know who he is. This is part of our job getting to know the kids in the neighbourhood. If no one complaints it will be stored but prob not official, but only in the minds of the officers responding. If he gets in trouble agian " Hey aren't u that kid that threw pumpkins to cars last month" ? Most LEO have a good memory :D

Thanks Loki. Now the big question- should I tell him what Loki said, or tell him that they're just waiting for the people to press charges? ;)

Scare the crap out of him by telling him the person that called the cops on him had a heartache and died due to the fear of possibly being hit by a pumpkin and he is going to be charged with manslaughter. :D

In order for an actual "record" to exist, the officer would have either arrested the fellow, or issued a citation or summons.

We enter non-report items into our CAD (computer aided dispatch) just to provide a record that we were there, and what we did. But no names go into the thing at that level.

Scare the crap out of him by telling him the person that called the cops on him had a heartache and died due to the fear of possibly being hit by a pumpkin and he is going to be charged with manslaughter.

:D :D :D

Or I could tell him that a piece of pumpkin got stuck between the hood and the windshield and the car's air was on recirculate and the fumes from the pumpkin triggered their severe pumpkin allergy, causing them to swerve and hit a flock of children playing hopscotch, resulting in the death of all involved...or maybe something more likely :confused: :p

I'm pretty sure he feels like a moron for partaking in that, so it's probably a good thing that the officer was lenient. When I saw him this morning he told me that the responding officer was the DARE officer who came to class once a week for various lessons when we were in elementary school, and he had recognized my neighbor. All the officer did was have him apologize to the drivers and promise to knock it off, which seems very fair. Thanks for the responses.

When I was about 11, I went to a friend's slumber party. Late at night, we got the bright idea to vandalize the neighbor's house. We crossed the street with toilet paper, permanent markers, glue, etc. I was in charge of one of the BIG glue bottles. While I was deeply focused on glueing the guy's mailbox shut, I suddenly heard a big, "What the f*ck are you doing to my mailbox!" The whole party ran directly across the street and into the house. (Yeah we were world class criminals.) Apparently, the guy had already called the police because they were pulling up as we were closing the front door.

I'll never forget the LEOs at the door. There were three of them. One of them showed us a BIG glue bottle that he found outside. Another took out his big honking flash light and told us to line up so he could inspect our hands. He pointed directly at me and said, "You first." :eek: :( :eek: Of course, I had glue all over my hands so they told me to step aside. They told me they were taking me to jail. :eek: :eek: Wouldn't you know it, not one of the other kids had any evidence of glue on their hands. :eek: One girl convinced the LEO that it was dead skin on her hand. So there I was all alone and going to the hokey. After much ado, my friend's mother somehow convinced them not to take me away. They explained to me that they were going to take finger prints on the glue bottle and if it matched the ones on my record (my record :confused: ) that they would be coming to get me. I think it took two months before I finally stopped worrying about it. :D

The next morning my mother came to pick me up. The neighbor was outside cleaning up our mess. As we were pulling away, my mother sees him and exclaims, "I didn't know that so-and-so lived there. I used to work with him at... He's such a wonderful person, I'll have to stop by sometime to say hello." The whole time he was making evil eyes at me in the backseat. :eek:

Many sleepless nights, and I NEVER vandalized anything ever again.

The only time I've been spoken to by a LEO was in 4th grade. I was on the bus having a verbal exchange with a kid who was making fun of one of my friends, and as soon as we got dropped off we started punching each other and trying to throw each other down. After it was over, I went inside. My mom called me from my room not 5 minutes later and in the street sat a cruiser. I went out and met the LEO and the kid I was fighting. Apparently, the cop was driving by when he saw the fight and turned around (this is the same street where my neighbors were pumpkin-ing cars from) and told us that fighting wouldn't solve anything, that we should learn to solve our problems another way etc, and I remember staring at his sideview mirror while he talked to us from inside of his car, because this was when the siren lights were introduced onto the sideview mirrors in our town. So I guess if I was more interested in the new lights than the lecture, I must not have been taking anything to heart :confused: ;)

NeedleRemorse said:
The only time I've been spoken to by a LEO was in 4th grade. I was on the bus having a verbal exchange with a kid who was making fun of one of my friends, and as soon as we got dropped off we started punching each other and trying to throw each other down. After it was over, I went inside. My mom called me from my room not 5 minutes later and in the street sat a cruiser. I went out and met the LEO and the kid I was fighting. Apparently, the cop was driving by when he saw the fight and turned around (this is the same street where my neighbors were pumpkin-ing cars from) and told us that fighting wouldn't solve anything, that we should learn to solve our problems another way etc, and I remember staring at his sideview mirror while he talked to us from inside of his car, because this was when the siren lights were introduced onto the sideview mirrors in our town. So I guess if I was more interested in the new lights than the lecture, I must not have been taking anything to heart :confused: ;)

Yeah sure, my parents would have NEVER punished me for defending myself (or one of my friends). But, vandalism is entirely different. ;) :D

Nope, no trouble from the parents! They're the ones that taught me to stand up for myself, physically if possible. My mom even told that to the LEO :cool:

I never thought you to be a CRIMINAL :barf:

:p

Whenever a call/complaint comes in, the info is entered into a computer. When the call is completed, any info on what transpired at the location and any info that we want to keep as permanent record is added to the "call sheet." This can include names, phone #'s, DOB, addresses, drivers license #'s, etc. This does not go on any individuals record, but it does stay in our records. If we have any problems with the same individual later we can enter his/her name and any prior contacts will show up on the department's computer network, and the type of contact it was.

Had a kid bounce a soccerball off the side of my car last Halloween. I was in a neighborhood where 20 mph is mandatory so stopping was easy. I saw it come out of the bushes, heard it hit and saw someone run into the house. I walked up to the door with the ball, already on the cell to police dispatcher. Rang the bell many times with no response despite the TV on and an apparent teen party being heard. Eventually a confused mom opened the door. I lied about how I almost hit a parked car and how my 10 year old thought we were being shot at as I handed her the ball (with her kid's name on it in perm marker). Dispatch was overhearing most of this conversation so I asked mom if she wanted to explain anything to them or if the police might need to reinforce her. I left knowing it likely would not happen again.
I had a hard time thinking too despite being a teenager and one of the smartest people in the world.
At least it was only a soccerball that time. I've had rocks hit me twice on highways. One dropped off a bridge went right through on the unoccupied passenger side and another was thrown over the wall from traffic going the opposite direction. That one struck the window trim and shattered the glass. 1 foot over would have killed me and y'all would miss all my nice company.
Tell me where your friend lives. I'll come whale the tar out of him cuz I never got any satisfaction on those other 2. :eek: :D

PUNKINS!! :mad: :mad:

Damned orange scourges will be the death of all of us! :grumpy: I hate the freakin orange gourds. Outside of carving em' up with a tactical low yield thermonuclear device they are only good for being launched on a a solar interception mission. Needleremorse, I know these guys (and Jen) are just funnin' with ya but you've fallen in with the orange devil's way once. Let this be a warning to go and sin no more!!!

Outside of pies, this is about all the earth-sucking vine-spawns are good for:

http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

Yours in Crust,

Java

Back