Question for Sal.... steel choices.

DEV

Hows it going Sal, I was just curious as to why Spyderco uses so many different steels. I think you use the most out of all the knife companies. Dont get me wrong, I love the choices just curious as to what makes the dicided factor in putting AUS-8A on a Viele and ATS-34 on a Wegner and so on. Oh.... and if its ok, could you name all of the different types of steels that you use.
Thanks again Sal and I am glad your here.
DEV.

DEV
1) Almost every one of the super stainless steels has some particular performance feature at which it may excel. eg; AUS-8 has an almost perfect grain size. The right amount of carbon (no large secondary carbides) so it will take a very sharp edge (holds a very thin cross section at the molecular level). ATS-34 is better at edge retention. but the trade off is large secondary carbides and less corrosion resistance. What will the knife be used for? What steel will work the best? If it's an outside design, what did the designer request? We also may change steels in a model for one reason or another. Will the cost of the steel drive the model over the ELU's maximum cost (such as the Moran).

2) We work with a number of makers in addition to our own facility in Golden. Not all of the makers can work with all of the steels. "Doing it right" takes more refined skills and focus. We think we "do it righter" than a lot of the other guys.

3) There is no test ultimately better than the field. We can tell a lot in the lab, but the field somethimes shows us hidden glitches. Response from the ELU is far more valuable than steel manufacturers claims.

4) We like to play with all available materials to see for ourselves. So do you. That's why they call us knife nuts.
sal

Thanks for the info Sal. I love the various steels that you use and now I know why. Thanks again.
DEV

Back