Question for the sheath makers

I haven't sharked any Khuks lately; but I'm sometimes tempted by a villager that doesn't come with a sheath. I have seen several forumites post pictures showing their sheath making skills. I'm particularly partial to the dangler type. If I get one of these; is there any possibility I could have it shipped directly to one of you who are gifted at sheath making? I realize costs are based on several variables; but could I get an idea how much a dangler would cost for a khuk in the 15" - 18" range?

Over the next couple of days this little birdie is preparing to fly South for the Winter and it might take a few days after that before I get setup with internet and everything. If I don't respond to any replies quickly; bear with me.

Last edited:
I would contact Heber (wildmanh). I've seen photos of some of his sheaths and they look really nice. He also knows khuks. That's very important I believe. He's a great guy to work with. Good luck and good to see you back.

I second that. I got a friend who is incredible when it comes to leatherwork, but, since you did not specify your tastes in leather, could I be so bold as to say you do not care what it looks like as long as it functions? I am similar, though good aesthetics are a welcome bonus to me, as they might very well be to you as well. I would have suggested my friend first, but he sounds busy, and the apocalyptic style takes longer, so if you are in for function over form, and would like a more simplistic, but equally beautiful work, then I would go for Heber. He is a very nice person, and a skilled leatherworker, if his photos tell me anything about his work. It is also true that, because he is exposed to so much Himalayan Imports work, that he would be ideal for a khukuri sheath. A friend of mine recommended a leatherworker, I think his name is Chuddy Bear or something, and while he primarily works with Busse blades, I have heard good things about his work as well, that could be an alternative. If you are looking for more modern material sheathes like Kydex, Zytel, Nylon, and whatnot, I, unfortunately, cannot help you there. However, I do know a place where you can get the materials to make awesome nylon sheaths, just google search 'ahh biz' (it sounds funny, but it is a very serious fabric manufacturer, apparently), and they have grommets, grommet tools, nylon webbing of all shapes and sizes, ballistic nylon by the yards, and the heaviest cotton canvas commercially produced, 32oz, or thicker-than-a-quarter fabric. Well, I hope I was of help to you. Peace.
David

There's always the option for getting a sheath from Auntie for the kami medical fund. I just picked up a DOTD that came without a sheath and ordered one but I should have asked her to include it so I could have saved a little on shipping!

Yeah there are some Universal ones available through Yangdu that benefits the kamis medical bills. However, if you want a first rate custom sheath built by a heckova guy, contact Heber. He does great work:)

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the Kami Medical Fund sheaths and I have contributed to it. For a while I've been seeing nice sheath work being posted by Heber and others and that's what I think I want now a custom job. I knew Heber did custom work for people; but I wasn't sure if some of the other people took on outside jobs or just their own work. Gorog has me pegged; I've always preferred function over form; ugly but works good is far better than beautiful and useless. Although good aesthetics are a welcome bonus to me as well. I think quality workmanship sometimes has it's own eye pleasing ability whether it was designed to be pretty or not. I purposely did not mention materials to be used to see what responses I would get. I have been partial to leather but have seen some good work in Kydex. Good to know Heber is held in high regard. I think I will contact him when I get an unsheathed knife DOTD.

Well, I wish you good luck in sheath hunting! Heber is awesome, he's always unintentionally putting us mere mortals (more like just me) to shame with his generosity and genuine friendliness. You made a fine choice in choosing him, I think. Peace.
David

Back