Question -- Knife For Boat ??

JackBoots

BANNED
Hello,

If I want an emergency knife for my boat what are you people recommending ?

Floating knives may be a good starting point :) but I am wide open for suggestions !

Thank you

Not sure what all you expect to be doing,b ut I'd probably suggest somethign in 420J2, keep it from being as likely to rust.

Look at dive knives to start.

Hi JackBoots,

David Boye makes some real nice boat knives; both fixed blades and folders. His dendritic cobalt does not rust, so if you´re looking for something to use around salt water this might be a pro.

Hope this helps...

By the way; someone posted a review (PDF document) of a number of boat knives. Boye´s knives came out best. I tried to find this post, but could not find it. If you like I can send you the PDF via mail.

A lot of yachties around here seem to like the Benchmade AFCK with the partially serrated blade.

Remember, on common demand on a knife on a ship it to cut a piece of rope. Serrations work much faster for this.

Originally posted by serge
By the way; someone posted a review (PDF document) of a number of boat knives. Boye´s knives came out best. I tried to find this post, but could not find it. If you like I can send you the PDF via mail.
That was me in this thread. Shame he stopped making his Diving knives. Those were by far the better for boating with it's Carbide serrated edge in a fixed blade form.

Originally posted by etp777
Not sure what all you expect to be doing,b ut I'd probably suggest somethign in 420J2, keep it from being as likely to rust.

Look at dive knives to start.

I know 420J2 is extremely rust resistant, but I'd rather try to gnaw through whatever I was cutting than use a 420J2 blade. If it were me, I'd pick something that had better steel and a higher chance of rusting, and just take good care of it. Or maybe both, 420J2 is cheap.

I live on the water and boat year round. I don’t have an “emergency boat knife,” but carry an old style Spyderco Delica 50/50 blade with the plastic clip.

Since an emergency might require cutting rope or line, a fully serrated knife could be ideal. Since I use my knife for other than rope cutting, I opted for the partially serrated version. Since losing a Delica overboard, I found 2 more old style knives on eBay.

The risk of loss is pretty high so I would avoid an expensive knife but quality is always important. The Spyderco Rescue with a sheepsfoot style fully serrated blade is only about $50 and could also be a great option.

Stay dry,

Dan :cool:

I do foredeck on alot of big sailboats racing...

Personally I carry the Myerchin A500

Great knife that makes short work of just about any rope...

Make sure to throw a lanyard on it and loop it around your wrist before you open the sheath ;)

Also I'd suggest in whatever you get a sheepsfoot blade...

Rocking and rolling you really don't want something overly pointy to stab yourself or someone else with.

Spyderco Rescue and Rescue Jr. Attach it to a floating key chain. Spyderco has excellent quality at a very reasonable price. Very sharp too.

There are also several rigging knives available out there. I know Buck and Camillus make them. I have a Camillus with a partially serrated edge that works great on rope. In case you aren't familiar with them, rigging knives generally have a sheepsfoot blade, a marlin spike and sometimes a key for turning wingnuts.

Rob

Thank you all for sharing information with me. You truly helped me to understand the issue.

Further to the suggestion about Camillus, here is their knife. It is well designed and proportioned. I would have prefered stainless steel to avoid rusting :)

http://www.bladez.com/Camillus696.html

Regards,

JB

I have the Camillus riiging knife with full plain edge (which I very much preffer), it´s stainless, heavy and tough, it´s a good rigging knife.

For an emergency knife to keep in a boat I think I´d go with a fixed blade, probably a diving knife, or a river knife, there are lots of models to choose from.

A multitool would also be a good idea.

I'd go with the Myerchins because it has a better grind/shape on the cutting blade. I have both a Myerchin and a Camillus boat knife, and prefer the Myerchin for the money.

Also, it's worth getting a shackle key on the boat knive, in addition to the blade and marlin-spike. Unfortunately, the Camillus doesn't have the shackle key. (Someone earlier said the key was for opening wing-nuts. Not so, they're for opening the screw-pin on metal shackes)

See this earlier discussion on boat knives.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225226

Cheers,
TT2toes

Originally posted by TheMightyGoat
I know 420J2 is extremely rust resistant, but I'd rather try to gnaw through whatever I was cutting than use a 420J2 blade.

420J2 will cut about as well as any other steel, it just will not do so for real long. It'll certainly last long enough to cut some rope. I believe the difference would be even less notable on a serrated edge.

I'd suggest some cheap (but decent quality) stainless fixed blades. How about some of the CRKT Stiff KISS in serrated edge? Cheap, very stainless, and effective. Get three or four (or ten) and stash them around the boat.

Back