Question of cleaning....

I bought a Sharpmaker and now I can finally make my knives hair shaving sharp! I can't tell you how long of a journey this was and I have to credit this forum for pointing me in the right direction.

My question is.....on the white stones, I can't seem to get all the metal off. I've washed and scrubbed them with Ajax with an abbrasive pad and while it removes most of the metal, I can't seem to get it all off. Heck I even soaked them over night in water and then tried again, but to no avail.

Help me please!!!!!

I would recommend a Rust Eraser (available from A.G. Russell for about six dollars). It works great and you don't have to mess with water or ajax. Just rub it on the rods and the metal deposits come off.

Rust Eraser has many fans around here. I gotta get one. I sharpen everyones knife at work so my Sharpmaker loads up readily. I use any dish soap and green or red Scotchbrite under running warm water. When I am near one I use an ultrasonic cleaner to get off the big stuff followed by the Scotchbrite.

Those rust erasers are truly a good way to go. I will second that recommendation. However I have found that every so often if you have the time it sure doesn't hurt to give the stones a really thorough cleaning.

The way I do it is the use the Ajax on the first stage of the cleaning. Then on the second stage after rinsing them thoroughly I use a scouring powder which is also a chemical type cleanser called BAR KEEPER's FRIEND. You can find it in most grocery stores on the same shelf where the Ajax & Comet is also sold.

That Bar Keeper's Friend really gets those stones super clean which also resurrects the "bite" or the abrasive grab that the stones had when they were new. I only do mine with the Bar Keeper's Friend only about once ever 2 months or so. I've yet to find anything that cleans those ceramic stones any more than BKF does.

Scotch bright pads ( the green meshy pads that are safe for no-stick pans) are what i use to clean up the white sticks. Just don't drop one in the sink and break it like I did one time... it doesn't sharpen as well after that :)

Paracord Secrets

I don't worry about a tiny amount of dark streaks on the white stones. I tried the Hoppes #9 that I read about here and still use it some. But what I do now is wipe down the flats and corners of all four stones with Simple Green after about every 20 strokes. Then, once in awhile, I take them to the sink for cleaning with Comet and an abrasive pad.

Back