Question on Buck Sheath

I would like to know when Buck switched from the older style holster style sheath with the foldover flap to the current style. Specifically on the model 103 Skinner.

Thanks in advance for any info :D

Anybody? I would have thought this would be an easy question to answer. Certainly Mr. Houser must know? :cool:

This is a guess, but I would say the switch occurred in the mid to late 1970's. I wish I could be of more help.

Tom

I believe they were phased in over time but the timing is unknown to me. I looked at my old Buck catalogs and found that in 1983, no 100 series fixed blade sheaths were pictured. Then, starting in 1984 and continuing through 1988 (I did not look at 1989 or later catalogs), there is a picture of both the snoopy style and flap-over type sheaths with the 100 series knives. It is my belief (no clear-cut proof) that model 124s first received the snoopy style sheaths. I do not know just when the last flap-over type sheaths were offered but my collection has post-1986 knives with both styles of sheath and there does not seem to be a definite cut-off date, even when considering only one model. In other words, I have 119s with both types of sheath and they are mixed out of chronological order as regards to the year marks. The same holds true for other 100 series fixed blade models from that time frame.
I am sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer. Because my collection is rather large, one would hope for a trend to be apparent, but I had no such luck!
By the way, "snoopy" type sheaths are those that snap around the side of the handle and leave the pommel exposed at the top. They are so named because, if one flattens out the sheath, the outline resembles the head of the famous cartoon beagle.

Well, I was only off 5 or 10 years on that one. Thanks for that information Larry.

Tom

I spoke to another collector last night concerning this subject and he is of the opinion that the larger models (124, 120, 119) were the first to come with side snap (snoopy) sheaths. He also thinks that these were in use by the mid-1970s. I did some more catalog browsing and I have a 1973 dealer catalog (actually, a four page brochure) with a flap-over type sheath pictured next to the fixed blade knives. The next brochure replaces the sheath with a 124 knife picture.
I am hoping that Joe can clear this up when he gets a chance. I still suspect that there was not a precise change-over date due to the mixture of knives and sheaths I have seen represented.
Sorry I cannot be more precise.

I wish i knew for sure. So far i haven't been able to locate records on sheath designs for that time frame. I think Larry's post gets us as close as we can hope for now.
The problem with using old catalogues is that they often used the same picture year after year unless something major was changed. The new design sheath may not have warranted such a new picture.

I have a seratted blade 124 and it has the snap around strap sheath reather then the fold over and i bought it brand spanking new at a Navy BX in '71. so it must date from at least '71.

Thanks for the info. I figured things must still be hectic with the move to Idaho.

The reason for my question: I bought a 103 on EBAY that the seller stated the Foldover sheath was "original" but the knife had a 1992 "-" stamp.

My loss I guess.

Back