Question on Buck Strider Tanto folder

I just received a Buck Strider tanto folder and I have a question about the leading tanto edge. Is the leading edge just intended for piercing and not cutting? It seems much too thick and abrupt an angle to be used for cutting, at least mine does. I am used to the Benchmade CQC7 tanto which has a thinner profile and bevel ground. The leading edge on that knife is useful for cutting as well as facilitating a piercing blow.

The primary cutting edge is fine after reprofiling with my Lansky extra course and working down to a finer grit stone.

Has anyone taken the bevel down on the leading edge and if so what did you use to remove that much metal?

thanks

John

You are right, on the Buck/Strider and on real Striders the leading edge is meant more for the piercing duties, and not as sharp.

The one I had was also quite obtuse. I lowered the edge angle with some lapping compound on a coarse SiC stone. The easiest way is to use a power grinder, if this is not an option use the most coarse sandpaper you can find (80 grit or lower), or some coarse lapping compound and a large coarse benchstone.

-Cliff

I had a mini-Strider Tanto which now belongs to Eric Chang. We did the same thing to that front tanto edge, trying to keep it cosmetically pleasing. It was never very sharp. In fact, I think Eric just uses the knife like a screwdriver. He's very good at sharpening, so the belly edge is worth the trouble.

Thanks guys. After reading these responses, I will probably leave it as designed and not consider the front edge as a cutting surface.

Yes, I would leave it as designed unless you really need the leading edge sharpened. That thing, as designed, was literally built to be able to pierce a 55 gal. drum if required.:eek:

As said already (Bladeforums.com is awesome!) the tanto tip on that knife was designed for ahrd use, not cutting. I recall words by Dwayne Dwyer from a knife mag, where he said that tip breakage was common for folks who use their knives hard. So Dwayne and Mick of Strider knives designed the tip of their knife to poke, pierce, pry, etc. and not break off. I usually carry 2 knives around, a "tac" folder and a slipjoint of some kind. I love the slipjoints for fine work and I use my "tac" folder for larger work. THis combo works very well with the Buck/Strider tanto that I have. I'm carrying a thin bladed fine work knife and a hard use, prying/hacking/cutting tool together- covers many bases.

Much thanks to everyone who responded. I now have to decide if this is a knife that I need. I don't use knives as screwdrivers or prybars and I certainly hope I will never need a knife to poke someone. I also don't know if I would carry such a heavy knife around and have to carry another with a more utility useful blade.

I can see that the designers certainly did accomplish their mission. I can't imagine what anyone would have to do to damage this knife's tip.

Back