Question on RAT sharpening...

What systems/angels do you use to sharpen your RATs?

I ask because I just got a RAT-5 in and the edge at the curve isn't the best - not as sharp as the rest of the knife.

Most of the blade is razor/shaving sharp except where it is moving up the curve toward the point of the blade.

I don't think it's a point I'll mess with it yet, but at some point I know my OCD towards it will take over and I'll have to have the blade consistently sharp across all of the blade.

I was curious to what sharpening methods or angels are the most successful with the RAT knives.

Thanks brothers.

I have a TAK 1 in 1095 that I used and put a new edge on it with an Edge Pro Apex.

The knife was fairly sharp out of the box, but was a little "toothie" for lack of a better word. It was sharp enough to cut, but nothing great. As far as the angle goes, I used a magic marker on the edge and matched it up. I started with a medium stone and went up to the 800, or extra fine.

The final result was the sharpest knife I personally have ever sharpened. The edge looks almost polished and this thing cuts like a big razor. 1095 is real easy to sharpen compared to the stainless varieties out there. The edge lasts a pretty long tome as well.

I use the sharpie method to make sure I am getting the curve. With some of the Ontario Rat's the edge grind is slight off, so it can take a few swipes over a diamond stone to get the shoulder to like up with the edge properly. Nice thing about 1095 is that it doesn't take long at all. Good luck.

I not familiar with the marker/sharpie method of sharpening, not to possibly hi-jack the tread but could someone please explain this to me?
thanks

Sharpie method is this. You take a sharpie or similar marker and black out the edge. Then begin sharpening. You will know you have the right angle when you are removing black from the edge. I use it as a gut check on some of my recurves and on the curved edges of knives when I suspect I am just not getting it right. In simple, if you are removing the black from the edge, you are removing/polishing metal.

Back