Question: Rapid Response made in Italy Vs USA? Which is better?

Hi, I've got a FKMD Rapid Response FX307 CB on the way that's marked made in Italy
I see now that they're currently made by Wilson Combat and called XL ELMax and marked made in USA.
So I assume mines an older original model? (Still NIB)
Can anyone tell me if one or the other is a better quality? I know they've started making them here and have local support, but not being able to find much information about these knives I'm wondering if I made the right choice or should send it back for a USA model?
Thanks for in insight you guys can provide!
So far my EDC is a BM Subrosa
And I have several other BM's
Opportunist
Bob Lum LFTi
875 Elishewitz sentinel
2 more Subrosa's! :)
And a Griptilian

Last edited:
Well, I see lots of views but no ideas, anyone have any personal experience with the either Rapid Response?
Or the Italian made FKMD's in general?

I'd contact both Wilson Combat and Fox Knives to see in which country each is made:

• FOX KNIVES FX-307 CB RAPID RESPONSE
  • WILSPN TACTICAL KNIVES WTK-RRX-DLCC Rapid Response XL

rapid_response_folder_tit.jpg

WTK-RRX-DLCC-003.jpg

Thanks! I know the fox knives were made in Italy, by a small company in a small town and that they've made a deal with wilson to produce them here in the US recently. I'm wondering mostly if the US model will be a mass production of the fox model. (I've bought the fox from Italy, but it's not here yet) mostly just curious if the US version will be a lower quality version? I've heard the town in Italy where Fox originated was known for its knife makers, (most out of my price range, LOL!) also, I'm looking for interesting Titanium knives while I've still got a guy who does nice custom Anodizing before he gets to popular and I can't afford him anymore! :-(
I'm hoping someone has had some personal experience with the fox RR 307 and if it holds up over time, I use everything I buy so I don't want any junk in my collection! :)

I have a good number of knives all made by Fox Knives of Maniago, Italy. Great knives. They are particularly good with liner locks and N690 steel blade and recently Elmax.

Thanks! That's what I'm looking for!
I've had a hard time finding much out about the Maniago Fox knives. But what I have heard sounds promising, small town, old knife making traditions passed through generations. I've heard Fox made some knives for the military there as well. How do you like the Emax steel? I know it's hard, how's the tensile strength?
For me, so far V30 and 154C are my favorites.
Although I'm in the middle of trying to get a new edge on my 1st CPM M 4 Stell knife, (BM 760 Lum LFTi) haven't decided if I like that yet or not, need a little practice with it to tell...

Just around the very small town of Maniago, Italy (70 miles northeast of Venice) with a scant population of 12,000 is world famous for knifemaking since the 15th century. LionSteel, Fox, Viper, Maserin, Fantoni, etc. are all headquartered there.

These are my Fox Knives folders all made in Italy:

• Fox FX-500 TRACKER FOLDING KNIFE “MESKWAKI”
  • Fox FX-310 SPECWOG SPECWOG ALFA FOLDING KNIFE DESIGN BY DEAN ROSTOHAR
  • Fox FX-SOK09CM01E COL MOSCHIN - DELTA SPECIAL OPERATION KNIFE
  • Fox FX-SOK09CM02B COL MOSCHIN - DELTA SPECIAL OPERATION KNIFE
  • Fox SLO-01 FOX BANTAY DESIGN BY BORUT KINCL OFFICIAL TRAINER OF SLOVENIJA ARMY
  • Fox FX-0110 W DEIMOS DESIGN BY CITADEL
  • Fox FX-121 CB EXTREME ELITE DESIGN BY WILSON COMBAT
  • Fox FX-121 MC EXTREME ELITE DESIGN BY WILSON COMBAT
  • Fox FX-117 CT N.E.R.O NIGHTHAWK TACTICAL FOLDERS
  • Fox FX-214 E.R.T. RESCUE KNIFE
  • Fox FX-590 FOLDING KARAMBIT
  • Fox 479 FOLDING KARAMBIT
  • Fox FX-590 CHIROPTERA KARAMBIT DEVELOPED WITH DERESPINA KNIVES
  • Fox CED-01 COMBATIVE EDGE M1 SERIES TITANIUM FRAME LOCK DESIGN BY ROB WALKER

Would love to see photos of those knives. My grandparents were originally from Bergamo just 60 km north of Venice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'm a bit late to the party, as this thread's lain cold for a couple of months, and also can't speak directly to the OP's initial inquiry as I have no experience with the Rapid Response line. I can, however, attest to the quality of at least one knife in the WC line-up produced by Fox Cutlery in Maniago, Itlay.

We were on a family vacation in Barcelona last March and I wanted to find some local knife shops and pick up a Spanish-made knife. No offense, but there were no knife shops much worth visiting (save one glorious exception) and really no Spanish knives that interested me in any way, shape, or form. However, in the Placa del Pi we found (and were directed to by another BF member who resides in Barcelona) Ganiveteria Roca, an old-school cutlery shop featuring knives, tableware, shaving, barbering, and other higher end implements. The shop was a pleasure to behold, the sales staff helpful language barrier notwithstanding, and I was surprised to find a Wilson Combat ELC in cocobolo in stock. While its price there was a bit higher than on the WC website, I bought it to patronize the shop and as a memento of our most excellent trip. Damn nice knife, too.

Anyway, the knife is marked somewhat differently than those available from WC, with the Fox Logo, MKMD, Maniago FX-121 CB, and Italy marked on the reverse side of the blade. The N690Co steel is excellent, came very sharp, and the knife is flawlessly executed. The knife came in a reasonably attractive zippered, fabric pouch. Based on this alone, I would not hesitate to buy a WC knife manufactured by Fox (or in Maniago, for that matter), unless I was hung up on the Made in USA thing.

Here's the ELC along with the rest of its then WC family, a Hogue 3.5" drop-point having been more recently added to the fold.

roZeVuz.jpg

Go with the USA. You'll sleep better at night.
Why would he or anyone else "sleep better" if he or they went with the USA knife?

Unfortunately, "MADE IN USA" does not necessarily mean the same today, that it did in the past.
Remember the Chevy Vega, (the car that rusted out on the air conditioned showroom floor, and needed the engine rebuilt every 30,000 miles or so because of scored cylinders), the Chevette, (replace either or both the front brake pads and/or rear brake shoes, you had to replace the master cylinder, brake lines, brake calipers, and wheel cylinders too, or you had no brakes. The steering wheel was canted lft so you could get in, rust was still an issue, especially on the uni-body frame studs) and the Chevy Citation?
What about the "Made in USA" Chevy VOLT? Chevy/GM recalled every Volt made that was still on the road, gave the owners a new car (different model) and destroyed all the Volts because of their propensity to catch fire at any time, and burn to the ground; many times taking the garage, house, and all the owner's possessions with it. Sadly, it was not just pet dogs, cats, gold fish, and canaries that lost their lives in those fires. Some people (including kids) did too.

Years ago I had a USA GERBER knife. Biggest P.O.S. I've ever seen or owned. Even worse than the Vega and Chevette I had. Much worse than even an Made in Afghanistan FROST "Gas Station Special" knife shaped object.
Slicing warm butter dulled it. I finally cut the blade into little pieces with my Dremel, and sent it to the land fill.
(the pivot screw went to the land fill in two trips, a week after the last of cut up blade, and the handle parts in three trips after that. I didn't want to take a chance on anyone "rescuing" that worthless ... useless ... knife shaped object.)
For a long time QC at Case was hit and miss. I understand the QC at Case has gotten much better and more consistent since Zippo Lighters bought W.R. Case out, and took over.
Some Italian (and French, and Portuguese, and Spanish) firms make an excellent knife.

Last edited:
Back