question/suggestion for sal

Vet95LT1

BANNED
hi how ya doing? have a question/suggestion for ya - was messing around w/my benchmade AFCK, w/the spyderco licensed hole, and noticed it was chamfered - seems like a good idea to me, just wonder if ya have ever thought about doing them that way-couldnt cost much, i dont think - IMHO makes them look more highly finished, and also easier on the old finger - also the wrong forum, but why did BM change the AFCK to that funky football looking hole - cant stand it - were they just too cheap to pay ya, or do they REALLY think its an "improvement" - just wondering - and also thanks a lot for putting out a top quality product, and caring enough to trade thoughts w/us on this forum - gotta admit, spyderco is probably the #1 company as far as quality, customer service, and pride in manufacture go - it just seems the longer i collect knives the more spydies i get - now, w/all this talk about the gunting(gonna carry it, a matriarch and a SIFU will be ready for anything LOL), i gotta have 1 of those, if i can find 1 anyway LOL - have a good 1 and thanks.......

vet

Benchmade is using the new hole because Spyderco will no longer license it to them. They claim that it's "new and improved"
rolleyes.gif

The BM beveled hole might look nicer and be smoother but smoother means more slippery. Their hole doesn't give as much grip. My sweaty thumb has slipped out of the BM hole a couple of times due to its angled edge but I've never had that happen with a spydie. Your mileage may vary but I think that Sal knows best, especially since he invented the idea!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Karma is only justice without the satisfaction

I have some Spydercos with a chamfered blade hole and some without chamfers. I prefer the chamfers for the most part although the blades without chamfers are perfectly usable.

I can't say that I've compared Spyders to Benchmade because I don't own any Benchmades. (Yet!)I do know that Benchmade is also a fine knife.

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

Hi Vet. Thanx for the kind words.

The question came up in the General forum. I believe the thread was "oval vs round hole" or something similar. I answerred the question over there. You might check it out. Saves me some key srokes.

We started with chamfers in '81. over the years, we've tried many ways. The action, lock type and size of hole greatly affect the ease with which one can open a hole opener.

The "non sharp edge" seems to be, overall, (IMO) the most reliable to open. Reliability and safety would head the "priorities" of knifemaking on the issue of "opening a hole opener".

sal

hey not often ya can post a question, and voila w/in a day or 2 the CEO of the company takes time to answer - thanks again sal...

and yes the unchamfered holes are quite servicable, the chamfered just looks better IMHO......doesnt work better really

and, chamfered or not, they both work 110% better than that goofy football shape on the new AFCK - i just dont care for it - and i like the AFCK - what can i say??

thanks again sal, and have a good 1 bud

vet

Back