[question] VG-10 vs. 440C

Could someone please explain to me the difference between these two blades? Appreciate it. :)

There are a number of differences in the composition of the two steels. Your usage will determine which is better for you. The 440C has a higher chromium content for rust resistance, the VG-10 contains vanadium for better wear resistance, etc. Most folks seem to find VG-10 holds an edge better without being hard to sharpen, making it a good all-around steel for knives. Frankly, most people don't use their knives hard enough to tell the difference between good steels. Just a few of us whacko knife knut/steel junkies ;):D

Really? I've noticed quite a difference between 420J2 and AUS8. On stainless steel kitchen knives, the edge feels pronouncedly less keen no matter how much i rub them on my Sharpmaker.

...Frankly, most people don't use their knives hard enough to tell the difference between good steels. Just a few of us whacko knife knut/steel junkies ;):D

That's certainly true in my case. I've carried, used, and maintained knives for 50+ years now, and I still don't have a steel that I can point to and say "That's my fav for... because...".

My most common EDC knives have VG10, 154CM, or S30V blades and I don't prefer one over the other just for their blade steel. They all work the way I want them to with minimal maintenance required and none of them has ever given me any trouble with broken tips or chipped edges.

Really? I've noticed quite a difference between 420J2 and AUS8. On stainless steel kitchen knives, the edge feels pronouncedly less keen no matter how much i rub them on my Sharpmaker.

Aside from the rust resistance, I don't really consider 420J2 a good knife steel. 420HC with a good heat treat works much better. AUS8 is far superior for taking and holding an edge.

I am not sure I would even be willing to count 420J(2) as bladesteel. Yes, it is used as such by some, an yes, someone found it to be tough, but toughness isn't the sole measure of all things sharp. To me it is a liner steel at best, which has been misused as a bladesteel. My $0.02. But then I wouldn't count 420HC as a good bladesteel either....

Well, for a cheap diving knife that is going to get used to chop coral and pry barnacles off of old cannon balls, 420J2 works okay. I think Buck would have to disagree with you on 420HC, though. It seems to work pretty good for them. On the other hand, the steel is what keeps me buying Spyderco knives. I love my new S90V Military. :D

Back