Questions About Making/Selling Kydex Sheaths w/ Leather Exteriors

Hey, everyone. I just have a few questions because I was thinking about making Kydex-lined leather sheaths as well as selling them:

1.) What should I do to make the leather adhere to the Kydex so it never comes off (especially at the edges)?

2.) What precautions need to be taken to prevent any wear and tear on the outside?

3.) What size leather would be best if you were to wet form the leather on the Kydex if you were to go for a concealment sheath?

4.) If I were to sell these online, should I offer additional services for those who would like to get the best care possible (like preserving the leather exterior so it lasts as long as possible for example)? And if yes, what would be an ideal price for them? If anyone has any ideas for additional services that I could provide, then please let me know.

1) I've had good luck with CA glue to hold the leather to kydex. I imagine contact cement would work well to

I have a few leather lined kydex holsters, including one for a p365 that I have been carrying since spring.
Not sure why you would attempt the other way around. I would like to see a picture.

First, discussing sales at your membership level is frowned upon.

Second, I wouldn't be in a rush to start selling a piece of gear that hasn't been fully tested. This is especially important if a customer could potentially be using your product in an environment or circumstance where they are literally betting their lives on how well it works. Take the time you need to make as many variations and modifications as necessary to get the product dialed in. Get them into the hands and waistbands of real world testers to look for flaws in construction and performance. When you get all thumbs up, sell them.

Curious..... Why do this? Especially on a concealment sheath.

Sorry for the late reply. I just figured since there were people who like Kydex holsters/sheaths and those who like leather, I would try to make holsters and sheaths that were covered in leather (which would be as thin as possible to conform to the shape of the Kydex holster and sheath) for those who like both.

First, discussing sales at your membership level is frowned upon.

Second, I wouldn't be in a rush to start selling a piece of gear that hasn't been fully tested. This is especially important if a customer could potentially be using your product in an environment or circumstance where they are literally betting their lives on how well it works. Take the time you need to make as many variations and modifications as necessary to get the product dialed in. Get them into the hands and waistbands of real world testers to look for flaws in construction and performance. When you get all thumbs up, sell them.

My mistake. I am just learning the ropes of this forum. I wasn’t talking about selling on this forum, at least not at first. And I do plan on experimenting on them and testing them out.

I have a few leather lined kydex holsters, including one for a p365 that I have been carrying since spring.
Not sure why you would attempt the other way around. I would like to see a picture.

I will tell you what I told Top’s Custom Kydex: I just figured since there were people who like Kydex holsters/sheaths and those who like leather, I would try to make holsters and sheaths that were covered in leather (which would be as thin as possible to conform to the shape of the Kydex holster and sheath) for those who like both.

Just another question in terms of Kydex: What is the best way to rough up the surface so the leather can adhere to it without it coming off when I cement it to the Kydex?

Don't let anything I've said be misconstrued as discouragement. I think if nobody is doing something a particular way there might be two ways of looking at it. One way is that there might be a reason. It may have been tried before and found to be a bad idea or problematic in some way. The other way is to see it as a gap in the market and an opportunity to be exploited. If you think it can fill a need or desire, do it. Just make sure it works as advertised.

To attach the two materials, rough up the two mating surfaces with 80 grit paper and use a high strength epoxy or maybe contact cement. Depending upon the design or look you want to go with, you can also use rivets, screws, stitching or some other mechanical fasteners. If you plan it well, you could even fold the Kydex around the edges to "capture" or cover the edges of the leather.

Back