Questions about Mountain Man

I've recently gotten a Schatt & Morgan Mountain Man. It is a sweet knife I plan to use (Now I know whay Last Confederate has so many:thumbup: ). My questions are this:

- The blade is marked 04113L 2005 on the back and '1 of 100' on the front (where the Schatt & Morgan name is etched). What exactly is the 1 of 100, what could make this knife so special?

--The blade, when opened, has a bit of horizontal and vertical blade play. Is this normal or should I send it back to the company for repair?

Any information will be appreciated.

Forgot to mention that I got this knife in a trade and there was no box or papers with it.

The blade, when opened, has a bit of horizontal and vertical blade play. Is this normal or should I send it back to the company for repair?

This knife and Queen equivalent are some of my favorite pocket knives.

Unfortunately, blade play and improper/uneven grinds are quite common for the Queen and SM knives, no matter how much they cost. :rolleyes:

On the flip side, I believe you do have a good quality knife that will serve you well.

I personally would not send it back in, but would call the company and talk with them about it if you are so inclined. You never know.

I am very selective about the knives I buy from these companies. You can find some with little or no play, and great grind lines if you look.

Can you get us some pics?

Thanks.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEE....another addict takes his first "hit"!

As for the "04113L 2005", I'm not sure what the "0411" part is for, but the "3L" is the model number for that pattern at Queen. The 1 of 100 of course means that it's the 1st of 100 made, most likely in a certain series in 2005 or with the particular handle material it has...what handles does it have BTW?

The Last Confederate said:
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEE....another addict takes his first "hit"!

...what handles does it have BTW?

LOL (got to stop eating while reading BF, jeybaords are starting to cost a lot;) )

MY guess about the handles is that they are stag. Exactly what type of stag is beyond me. I hope to get a pic of it posted a little later. Thanks for the replies, and laughs, so far.

Another question, though. How is Queen related to Schatt & Morgan? Does one own the other?

Hateman said:
Another question, though. How is Queen related to Schatt & Morgan? Does one own the other?

Short version, in the early part of the 20th century, a few guys from Schatt & Morgan, left and started Queen. A few years later, they bought out Schatt & Morgan and today, Queen/S&M knives are made in the same factory using dang near the same methods as then.

The Last Confederate said:
The 1 of 100 of course means that it's the 1st of 100 made

Are you sure about that, TLC? The reason I ask is that I have an S&M barlow marked 1 of 600. I was guessing that all 600 are marked the same way and the mark does not really reflect much other than the total number made. I would like to be wrong about this and that my barlow really is #1 but I'm not so sure.

I of 100 means there were 100 of that style and handle material made in 2005. They are all marked 1 of 100! It is common practice, and it is used to let you know how exclusive it is!

Hateman said:
LOL (got to stop eating while reading BF, jeybaords are starting to cost a lot;) )

MY guess about the handles is that they are stag. Exactly what type of stag is beyond me. I hope to get a pic of it posted a little later. Thanks for the replies, and laughs, so far.

Are the scales white and black, or a blood red and maroon?

White and black is stag, IIRC. The other is called worm grooved bone, IIRC. Both are beautiful, IMHO.

1 of 100 means just that one of a hundred made.
#1 of 100 is a totally different thing.

I have a few S&M Mountain Man lockbacks from different years.

One of them does have some bladeplay. (The rest have great tight lockup.) I don't use that knife, but I do intend to send it back to the factory for tightening before I: 1. start using it; 2. give it as a gift; or 3. sell it.

It's an ATS-34 F&W Model.

Blade play & uneven grinds are quite common..? I am moving on to somthing else here. I am glad I didn't buy one! No need for another headache!

pogo said:
Blade play & uneven grinds are quite common..? I am moving on to somthing else here. I am glad I didn't buy one! No need for another headache!

Unfortunately they are with this company. You can find a great one if you look, but your are going to have to touch up the edge before you get to use it.

Great looking knife.

Thanks

Vertical blade play on a knife of this size isn't acceptable IMO. Even a small amount will feel like a lot due to the lenght of the blade. Actually, any vertical blade play isn't acceptable to me.

I'd send it back for exchange.

If you buy from www.cumberlandknifeworks.com, you will have no trouble exchanging it. Bill is the best source for these knives.

Cheers,

Thanks for all the info. I've been wanting a Mt. Man ever since I saw a pic of them some time ago. It feels good in hand and it seems just the right size for , IMHO, EDC. Despite the blade play (not enough to irk me, just to be noticed by me), I hope to get more in the future. And, those jigged bone handles do feel and look great. Again, thanks for the replies.

I thought (a tiny bit of) vertical blade play in a lockback was a necessary evil.
IIRC it was Sal Glessar that explained it when talking about his Chinook.
I could be wrong, though.

Back