Questions about my gas mask!!

RattlerXX

Gold Member
I have a gas mask that is US issue, and don't know anything else about it. It looks just like the ones the US troops used in the movie "The Patriot" with Seagal. Someone else told me it was from desert storm. It is in a canvas bag, with bands, wipes, and the mask. What model is this, and where can I find info about it? Also, about what are these worth?

Thanks,

I didn't see the patriot, but is it the mask with triangular embedded filters(one filter on each cheek)? If so, it's the M17 gas mask, and a piece of doodoo (I carried one in the Army). I don't know the exact value, but they're probably too common still to have much collectors value, and too much of a piece of doodoo for "survivalist" value (very difficult to change filters - esp. since you have to take the mask off to do so - hard to find filters, etc.) They did make great pillows when sleeping in the field though. If I had to guess, I'd say it was worth maybe fifty bucks...to a collector...

If it has a 40mm screw on filter, it is probably an M40. Those are worth a bit of money (~$200-400), especially given the popularity of such items in recent times.

...hope this helps...

Ok, I did check it over and it says on the inside Hood Chemical Biological Mask M6A2. It also has some other numbers on it, but I don't know much more about it. It is like new.

Thanks, any info will help.

The nomenclature on the inside of the hood is for the hood. If it has internal filters its an M17, if it has the drinking tube its a M17A1. If it has the screw on filters it is an M40. A varient of the M40 is the M42 which has the filter in the carrier bag with a tube to the filter that can be plugged into the onboard NBC system of the M1A1/M2A2 ODS/M109 Pladin armored vehicles. M17 series are now obsolete in the US armed forces and have been replaced by the M40/M42. Used in good condition M17s will cost around $25 to $50. M40s cost considerably more. Once M17 filters have been exposed to the air they have a usefull life of about 6 weeks against anything harmfull, although they will still work against CS or pepper spray.

Back