Questions about the Damascus Mnandi

Dr-Mabuse

Gold Member
I've heard tell that the Damascus bladed Mnandis are pretty easy to open one handed, much like the "old style" Mnandis. Is this true in your experience? Also, how do the Damascus blades fare as users? How does the edge retention, ease of sharpening and toughness compare to S35VN? Thanks all.

I've carried a raindrop damascus bark mnandi for about 3 yrs now with no problems in the areas you question and I have no problem opening it one-handed. Great small carry knife and all I need in a carry knife.

One thing to note is that damascus can feel a little gritty to start out from the detent ball riding over the damascus surface. If its like my Sebenza it will lesson and go away over time.

Thanks guys, I still can't choose between the small 21 and the Mnandi but this definitely helps.

Thanks guys, I still can't choose between the small 21 and the Mnandi but this definitely helps.

It really depends on what you need. The Mnandi is a much different knife then a Sebenza. If you like traditional slip joints or wanting pocket jewelry maybe go for the Mnandi , if you want a more harder working knife the Sebenza. The Mnandi has a thinner blade and is smaller and does not fit everybody, but then again the small 21 also does not fit everybody.

I see from your GAW you do like slip joints so maybe the Mnandi might fit you better. BTW even the non damascus new models can be opened one handed but are not as easy as old models. Lone Wolf has posted a video of different ways to do so. I like my old model enough better to sell off my new model. I am enticed by the idea of some of the new woods with damascus blades. I think though I will only go old models in plain stainless. They are out there you just have to watch for them.

Last edited:
It really depends on what you need. The Mnandi is a much different knife then a Sebenza. If you like traditional slip joints or wanting pocket jewelry maybe go for the Mnandi , if you want a more harder working knife the Sebenza. The Mnandi has a thinner blade and is smaller and does not fit everybody, but then again the small 21 also does not fit everybody.

I see from your GAW you do like slip joints so maybe the Mnandi might fit you better. BTW even the non damascus new models can be opened one handed but are not as easy as old models. Lone Wolf has posted a video of different ways to do so. I like my old model enough better to sell off my new model. I am enticed by the idea of some of the new woods with damascus blades. I think though I will only go old models in plain stainless. They are out there you just have to watch for them.

It's hard to say which one I'd like better. I wish I had a B&M store nearby that sold CRK. My hand knows what it likes best.
I like the small 21 because:
  • Thumbstuds. Fun to use and efficent.
  • Nice clean design. Slim, smooth and snag free.
  • The Ti seems like it will age really well.
  • The double dip clip gets rave reviews.
  • Looks real easy to clean and maintain.
  • Not much on it that could break.
I like the Mnandi because:
  • Really small profile.
  • I love little knives that punch above their weight class.
  • Wood covers, they may not be super durable but they feel good and look even better.
  • That clip is a work of art. I really would not mind having that sticking out of my pocket.
  • The nail nick opening, it's sleek and very refined. My CSC pinch lock back can opened the same way.
    XaCr40Rt.jpg
  • Feather weight.
  • The whole package looks really good.
The 21 is a really safe choice, because there's nothing objectionable about it. Which I'm afraid would make it boring. The Mnandi has some really interesting trade-offs though and I could love it or hate it.

I've heard tell that the Damascus bladed Mnandis are pretty easy to open one handed, much like the "old style" Mnandis. Is this true in your experience? Also, how do the Damascus blades fare as users? How does the edge retention, ease of sharpening and toughness compare to S35VN? Thanks all.

In my experience owning a few damascus mnandis i have found this to be true. perhaps the natural surface of the damascus makes your fingers grip on.

If you buy retail you can always return the knife if you don't like it. You will be out shipping but you would know. If you buy from the exchange here and get a good price you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it.... Just don't buy retail and then try to sell. You will lose money. I love my Mnandi as well as my Inkosi and Small Sebenza.

One other thing to consider..... it really does not matter which of the two you buy. You will end up buying the other one later. Its just part of the sickness you catch when you buy a CRK. So you might as well try and find the money and buy both ;)

One other thing to consider..... it really does not matter which of the two you buy. You will end up buying the other one later. Its just part of the sickness you catch when you buy a CRK. So you might as well try and find the money and buy both ;)

What sickness? :confused:

:D

Is this your first CRK? If so, I'd highly recommend the Sebenza. If you already have a Sebenza (of any kind), the Mnandi will be new and different.

Just my two cents.

Yup it's my first, and at this point I'm thinking it won't be my last. So, which one I get first may not be the biggest deal... but I'm still over thinking it.

I know that for I want a blackwood old style Mnandi for sure, so I might hunt that down first. In all honesty I'll probably just save up about $500 or so and then when something irresistible hits the exchange I'll just get that, be it a large, small, clip, insig, umnum, ti-lock or mnandi.

Yup it's my first, and at this point I'm thinking it won't be my last. So, which one I get first may not be the biggest deal... but I'm still over thinking it.

I know that for I want a blackwood old style Mnandi for sure, so I might hunt that down first. In all honesty I'll probably just save up about $500 or so and then when something irresistible hits the exchange I'll just get that, be it a large, small, clip, insig, umnum, ti-lock or mnandi.

I have and old style Mnandi in African Blackwood and I paid about $500 for it on the exchange. Don't think I would let it go.... Maybe you will get lucky and find one of your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was torn between those two also. I started with a first generation Mnandi and the a few months later got a small Starbenza.

My edc is a Mnandi and I have bought 3 more. Now I am using a laddered big oak. The Starbenza I fondled a few times but she is a safe queen. Granted I work in finance and wear a suit everyday.

I figured this might be good for people who are currently between them.

You posted 5 years to the day since this thread last saw anyone add to it:) For the record I prefer the 21 over the Mnandi, but they are both great!

Back