Questions About the Solo??

Eric Isaacson

Pirate
Is anybody out there that can give me some information about the Spyderco Solo. Such as when it was made, how many made, original retail, any value now? Any help would be appreciated. I did a search for it and can't find much info.
Thanks
Eric

Solo 1(SO01)- 1991, GIN 1 steel, 50/50 spearpoint blade, liner lock, lobe opener, micarta scales, stainless bolsters, double steel liners, partial rear spacer, OAL 5 7/ 8", 1.5 oz.

Solo 2(SO02)- 1992, GIN 1 steel, plain or spyder edge spearpoint blade, liner lock, lobe opener, micarta scales, stainless bolsters, double steel liners, partial rear spacer, OAL 7 5/ 8", 1.9 0z.

Solo 3(SO03)- 1995, AUS8 steel, plain or 50/ 50 spearpoint blade, liner lock, lobe opener, FRN scales, OAL 5 7/ 8", 1 oz.

Sal Glesser is credited for its design(s).

No longer imported since 1997, I think. Don' t recall prices or quantity imported.

L8r,
Nakano

Eric-

Did some research for you. The write-up in the 1996 Ironstone catalogue says:

"SOLO...The original goal in designing the Solo was to incorporate a production folding knife with a leaf-spring lock in hopes that the final product could, in time, become a classic. The leaf spring lock, directly influenced by Michael Walker and Robert Terzuola, is ideal in design because it is a positive lock and therefore ensures that it cannot close on the user's hand. Yet, because of the Solo's design, even the slightest pressure on the lock enables closure. Looking at the final product, one can see that the designer succeded in his original goal, without giving up any style or distinction that a classic deserves."

Prices on the Solo models are as follows:

SO P1 or PS1 $49.95
SO P2 or PS2 54.95

Also available, SO P4.....small.....stainless steel handle....plain edge 29.95

Hope this helps.

Patti @ IDB

Back