Questions from a Newbie.

Hello All.

I have an old Tramontina machette with no handle that I would like to cut to a different shape and cord wrap the handles. I was thinking of useing these discs in a dremmel tool to do the cutting:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=31008&category=1,130,43409

Would these work? Do I want the edge treated ones, or something else? Better yet, are there any websites that tell me how to do this stuff?

The machette is a bolo shaped one, and I want to make it more sword-like. I also need to change the handle so I can wrap it Strider-style. Would a dremmel, files and sandpaper be enough tools? I also have acsess to a belt grinder of my dads.

Also, what knid of drill bits do I need to drill through the handle? I have a drill press I can use, but I am unsure of what bits to use.

Thanks for all your help!!

Thor

I've got some 3" diamond cut off discs that would work a lot better than the little dremel discs. Since the steel is hardened you'll need carbide drill bits. I bought a big batch of 3/32" off Ebay way back and still have plenty of them.
Just cover the shipping and I'll send you a couple discs, drill bits and an arbor for the discs. You can use your drill press to turn the disc. If you don't have a cross slide vise, I'd suggest getting one from Harbor Freight. The cheaper ones are around $30. If you don't want to go that route you could clamp the blade in a regular drill press vise and move it by hand. Just go slow and be super careful.
Any way, let me know what you think.
Take care!
Michael

Machete's are usually soft enough to cut with a bandsaw, or even a hacksaw.

At least mine was.:eek: :D

You should be able to do it with your dremmel, but it will be slow and agonizing. If you can use 4 1/2" disks instead of dremmel ones do it, but if you can't then you can do what you need with the dremmel if you have alot of patience.

Short of cobalt bits you can spot anneal with a propane torch. I'd agree the blade might be soft enough to cut easily, that's been my experience too. But if you don't have a metal cutting bandsaw and a dedicated blade you'd be better off cutting with the 3" disks. Alternatively you could profile the thing on your dad's belt grinder like we all probably used to do. :D

I'm sure any of the ways mentioned would work. However if you are new at it disc grinders can be dangerous. Make sure you wear some kind of safety glasses. Goggles or full face shield.

That is allways wear safety gear not just when new. It is something I think most guys assume you are going to do and don't say.

The next bit of advice I can give is get in and have a go its all fun to start with.

Thanks for all your help guys. I was planning on wearing safety gear, but thanks for the reminder.

L6, thanks for the offer, but I think I will rough out the shape I want with either my dad's bandsaw or jigsaw, going slowly and carefully. My dad used to do alot of woodworking, so I have access to lots of tool, but most are wood related. I will post some pics when/if I finish.

Thor

If your dad's bandsaw is intended for wood, you probably need a different blade to go on it and it'd be a good idea to slow down the speed on it while cutting the steel. Wood blades have bigger teeth then steel cutting blades, and they'll break off on steel.

Back