Questions on Model Ki401x details

I recently purchased a Kane Vanguard. This is my first Kizer knife and I really like the knife. I also bought a Ki5401A2 and I have yet to receive the knife. I have been looking into purchasing a Ki401x. I really like the looks of this knife. As I looked at various vendors who are still selling this model I have encountered some discrepancies. I have seen this model displayed with the knife clip in the tip down only position and others show a tip up or tip down right side carry option. I have seen it advertised as full titanium handles (mostly) and I have seen it advertised as the back handle scale titanium and front scale G-10. Does it come with ball bearings or the bushings? What is the definitive info? Why so many possible variations if any? Thanks for your attention to this.
Denny
300WSM

Last edited:
I have this knife and it is full titanium scales. Tip down clip. Phosphorus bronze washers.

It is a very nice knife, but I think that my wife is going to steal it from me--she loves it!

The model Ki401 was / is available in a couple of different versions;
A = with G10 front scale
B = full titanium flat scales with "deep" milling pattern
C = full titanium contoured scales with subtle milling pattern and TiCN coated blade
D = full titanium scales with "reptile scale" pattern and drop point blade
D1 = full titanium scales with "reptile scale" pattern and drop point blade, blade and handle black-wash coated
DT = full titanium scales with "reptile scale" pattern and modified tanto blade
DT1 = full titanium scales with "reptile scale" pattern and modified tanto blade, blade and handle black-wash coated
T = full titanium scales with subtle milling pattern and modified tanto blade
X = full titanium scales with subtle milling pattern and drop point blade

From the Ki401 series only the D versions have ball bearings.
From some early versions the clip had only tip-up position, other (later) versions had tip-up and tip-down options (but all right-side only)
From every version there were two color versions (for example Ki401A1 and Ki401A2 that had a different anodizing pattern on the titanium frame lock side)

So yes, there were a lot of different versions that had only one thing in common; the general outline of the model.

But, he was asking about the Ki401X which, to my knowledge, only has one version.

TS was talking about that he had seen "it" advertised also with G10 scales which is definitely not correct. Also the X version never had ball bearings. So to clarify the whole 401 line I tried to explain the coding.
By the way; the Ki401X had two (color) versions! The Ki401X1 and Ki401X2

Yes, different colors. Yes, there are a lot of 401 variations which can be very confusing.

I stated bronze washers.

Anyway, it is a very good knife. But, the one that I have was very tight and had to be worked in to flip well. Probably a good thing in the long run.

Back