Questions.

I have a sword that was a gift from my grandpa when I was born (Now that i've since taken possesion of it 19 years later =p). I know next to nothing about it, except that i've seen it identified as a Japanese NCO sword. As far as I know they're WWII era.

It seems to be in good shape, except that the blade has a few small nicks, and has some tarnishing (I guess you would expect this over 60 years). The scabbard was painted black before I ever had it.

The blade and scabbard have matching serial numbers.

The sword in this e-bay auction is nearly identical to the one I own, except that it's in somewhat better shape (IE, scabbard isn't messed with, and it has the piece of rope on it).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=728603112

My sword: http://www.geocities.com/dtloken/sword.html

Here's to hoping that some of you can help me gain more information about it. I'm also curious to the value of it (Probably reduced quite a bit since the scabbard was painted). Not that i'm interested in ever selling it.

Thanks,

Dave

I am no expert, but I'll do my best.

The sword was machine made (not hand made). It is usually called shin-gunto. Mass produced copy. Handle is cast aluminum or brass. I would say that the sword was produced in 1930's.

It is good to have a matching number, but not too good to have painted scabbard. However, the original scabbard was painted black. You have to check it out whether or not it's the original paint. The number is production number.

Value : I think you should be able to get $200 - $300 easily

The value is less because it is a machine made sword, and pretty common.

Sorry to disappoint you.

But the fact that the sword has accompanied you since you were born is priceless :D

BTW, you might want cover the blade with oil to prevent rust.

No disappointment here.

I know next to nothing about swords (Or knives for that matter, just bought my first decent knife a few weeks ago and i've been lurking here to try and learn a bit more. =p)

Well my friend, here's one great advise you'll ever hear in your life.

$$ START SAVING $$

because once you start, you'll never stop !!

BTW, what knife did you get ?

NCO Shin-Gunto. The fullers give it away.

Prior to 1945, NCO shin-gunto, non-commissioned officers swords, have all metal tsukas (handles) made to resemble the traditionally cloth wrapped shin-gunto swords. The first model had an unpainted copper hilt. On later models the hilts were made of aluminum and painted to resemble the lacing (ito) on officer's shin-gunto swords. These swords will have serial numbers on their blades and are ALL machine made, without exception. The serial numbers are simple assembly or manufacturing numbers; they are not serial numbers of blades as issued to specific soldiers. If the sword is all original, the serial numbers on the blade, tsuba, saya and all other parts should match.

Link:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/military.htm

Pix:
ncosword.gif

nco.gif

aluminum Hilt.

Keith

BTW, what knife did you get ?

Gerber AR3.00 (I know I know, I could've done better for the price =p)

It seems to be fairly nice, except that it's dulled rather quickly. I have been cutting a lot of cardboard with it though.

I got a cheapo 5 dollar sharpener at Wal-Mart (Only thing they had, i'll have to get something better in the future) that seems to work OK.

Dunno what i'm going to buy next, any opinions on the CRKT M-16? It looks nice and is fairly inexpensive.

I don't have any experience with M16, but I've heard many good things about it.

Dull rather quickly, may be it's because the blade is made of 440A.

440 is considered a not so good material for a blade, except 440C.

Buy any knives made of D2, they are beast !!

Back