Quick AD-15 Review

Hello all,
This lil guy followed me home Saturday so I figured I’d better post my thoughts on it, as well as a bunch of pictures/comparisons.
3qToFXc.jpg

Ergonomically, I like it. It’s a little blocky, but the corners have a nice chamfer on them. The knife is thickkk, so it really gives you something to hold onto. The texturing is great for grip, the jimping is a bit aggressive for my tastes, but it’s not terrible.

In the forward grip on the choil, the knife doesn’t quite work for me. The choil is just too small and my finger rests on the blade. It’s not a big deal to me, I have several knives with choils, and I rarely use them.
9zQGzcK.jpg

R1j3Rqv.jpg

It might not bother you, I have chunky fingers. In the normal grip, it’s quite comfortable. I wear medium-large gloves, just so you can get a sense of the size of the knife in hand.
9go7C4F.jpg

In the pocket, it actually carries well for its size and weight (listed at 6.5 oz). It’s a bit less “tall” than a Manix or pm2 feels in the pocket, I think mostly because it’s more square. It is not a slim knife, and it’s not magic: it’s still a big, heavy knife, but it does carry well.

The clip is really nice if you like Spyderco’s spoon clip, because this is a doppelgänger for it..
RuYRPpi.jpg

The clip tension is about perfect, but it lands directly on the texture, so it makes inserting and removing the knife tricky.

14CCmBu.jpg

Of course, the coolest thing about this knife is probably the lock. It’s a scorpion lock, which uses a bar as a stop pin and as the lock.
1SJBbDL.jpg

ugQwWka.jpg

0PJXg2B.jpg

It functions quite well. At first mine was quite stiff, but it broke in to the point I can flick it pretty reliably.

The tan/gold arms you see in the pictures are made from aluminum, and it’s one solid piece. The part that looks like a backspacer pivots when you open and close the knife, which I think is pretty cool.
Z4vLcgT.jpg

ylDrLll.jpg

The fit and finish on mine was excellent, well within what I’d expect from a sub $200 knife. There are some small gaps between the scale and liners, but it honestly doesn’t even bother me. Centering was perfect, no blade play that I can feel. When it’s locked it feels tankish.
Ng9nZkC.jpg

The grinds are pretty even, the edge was a bit off but I think it would sharpen out pretty quick. And it’s honestly being nitpicky.

Overall, I think it’s a good knife. It’s very well built, very stout, and it has a cool lock. For people wanting to try the custom ad-15 and the scorpion lock without selling their kidneys, this is a great option.

And now for some comparison pictures with my next four largest knives. (As you’ll see I’m not a large knife kind of guy)

9NOoWmo.jpg

KCu7scI.jpg

d5LnJzM.jpg

Great review! Outstanding photos!

Thanks for your efforts!

:) Great "initial impression " review and pics ! Much thanks .

I hope there will be a follow-up of how it works as a user , after you have the opportunity to EDC for awhile and cut some stuff . ;):thumbsup:

Excellent job with your review! I love mine! I think tank is an understatement. Happy to have one in my rotation.

Back