quick question from a novice

Ren

I coulda sworn I posted this before, but I don't see it. I apologize if it turns up twice.

I always carry a small Swiss Army Knife in my pocket or purse, but I've been looking for something to use when that little guy isn't enough (odd jobs outside). A few weeks ago I stumbled onto a website singing the praises of the Spyderco Police Model and the Police is way too much knife for me, but I followed a link to spyderco.com (first impression=gotta get one of these!) and I like the looks of the plain edge Calypso Jr. Lightweight and the plain edge Clipit Navigator. I've been reading the posts here and people have good things to say about both of them, but I'm wondering of anyone has any hints that will nudge me one way or the other because I dont think appearance is the best way to buy a knife.

Thanks much
smile.gif

If you like the police, you may try the rookie which is the smaller version. Hopefully, it's not one of the discontinued models. I think the Delica is a good one to start with though. Most folks are happy with this one. Calypso Jr. is nice, especially the one with micarta scales. This is just shade smaller than the Delica. These are big enough for most utility tasks but small enough to be out of the way when you don't them.

You obviously don't want to go bigger than the models suggested. But, I am not sure you want to go the models smaller either like the dragonfly, cricket, lady bug. They are nice but more like keychain knifes which do have a niche.

.02 worth,

sing

AKTI #A000356

If it were me, I'd just buy both. You'll have to have them both sooner or later anyway.

------------------
p1445
Beat it to fit, paint it to match.

Welcome!

The Calypso has a much finer point. If you need a fine point for detailed work, go with the Calypso. If you need a sturdier point, go with the Navigator. Personnaly, I favor the G-10 handles. I have both. They're both great knives. You won't be disappointed.

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

If you go with the Calypso Jr. Lightweight (not to be confused with the Calypso Jr. Black Micarta), you'll get something very special that the Delica, the Rookie and the Navigator do not offer: flat ground VG-10! In laywoman's terms, what you get is an outrageously efficient cutter (thanks to the relatively thin edge) and better-than-average steel (excellent edge holding and very good corrosion resistance). The Calypso Jr. is my favorite small folder, and the sharpest knife I've ever owned. (I prefer the plain-edged variety, by the way.)

Welcome to the Forums.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

Purchase a Delica.
It will do anything another med. folder will do.
Plus you will not spend very much money so you will have more in your pocket when the Spydie Jones bites.

------------------
Bill
Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

I have a Delica and like it a lot, but I have a BF Native that I like a lot more. Now the BF Natives are no l;onger available in plain edge, but Spyderco is about to release the Native with a CPM440V blade, the real heart of the BF Native for me, and you may wish to wait a bit for it to be available. The 440V blade on my BF Native is and remains scary sharp, and the knife is one of the nicest size/shape combinations that I have used. The G10 scales will not be used on Spyderco's new Native as that would run the price too high, but the material being used is the same as in the Delica and it is very strong.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh Fuller

Welcome!
smile.gif
The bottom line is you chose SPYDERCO to buy.
biggrin.gif

I have to agree with the others above - I love my Calyspo JR LTWT. One PLUS of the LTWT JR is that it is TIP DOWN carry vs. the tip up carry of the Delica. The Delica is a great choise as well.
smile.gif
You can move the clip over to the otherside for weakside carry, too.

IMHO - you can't go wrong with ANY Spyderco product.
smile.gif

"Gotta have the hole!"

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

Smoky Mountain Knife Works has the g-10 rookie for $39! I would get one before they are gone. Great knife, great price. Their website is:
http://esg.interliant.com/smknife/main.html

The rookies aren't listed on the site but their phone # is. At that price I ordered two!

------------------
Dennis Bible

Gosh, you guys! Here I was doing so well narrowing my choices down to two and you had to go throw Rookies and Delicas and Natives at me *g* But thanks so much for all the replies and all the info. It is all very much appreciated
smile.gif

Back