Quick way to distinguish 1095/AEB-L?

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. I just opened a few boxes with equal amounts of 1095 and AEB-L. Unfortunately, the NJ Baron only labeled a few of the pieces, and the paint colors on the ends seem inconsistent. I'm wondering if there's a quick, simple test to tell them apart. Should I just sprinkle water on them and see what rusts? Or is there an easier way?

Much thanks!

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice. I just opened a few boxes with equal amounts of 1095 and AEB-L. Unfortunately, the NJ Baron only labeled a few of the pieces, and the paint colors on the ends seem inconsistent. I'm wondering if there's a quick, simple test to tell them apart. Should I just sprinkle water on them and see what rusts? Or is there an easier way?

Much thanks!
Aldos AEB-L is marked blue and red. 1095 will rust more readily than AEB-L. If you have come acid (even warm vinegar) it should darken 1095 faster and more than aeb-l.

Do both steels have the same surface finish?
Did you order the same dimensions in both?

You could try oil-hardening a coupon of each, see what happens.

The AEB-L should have a cleaner surface finish unless you had the 1095 ground.

Yes, I ordered exactly the same dimensions--and the same number of bars--in each steel. Makes it a wee complicated! But Kevin's suggestion to check out the end colors seems to have solved it. I hadn't realized there was a color formula in play. Once it was explained, it matches up with my order.

The AEB-L won't really be stainless until it's heat-treated. Though they may rust at different rates anyway.

Glad you got it sorted!

The AEB-L won't really be stainless until it's heat-treated. Though they may rust at different rates anyway.
True. My pre HT aeb-l will rust. Though not nearly as readily as 10xx steels. In my experience anyway .
Glad you got it sorted!

Back